1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM IS NOT DETECTED

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Macklins, Oct 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Macklins

Macklins Thread Starter

Just recently, I have aquired an additional PC. It is a Zenith made in, from what I can tell, 1994. Uses mostly DOS, but when it's scan program, called SASSy, runs through the files, it has quite a few Windows files. So I'm assuming that it is Windows 3.1, which I have never dealt with. It does run with Pentium (tm), and has a floppy disk drive and a CD-ROM drive. I'm having trouble getting the hard drive to recognize the CD-ROM drive.
    The CD-ROM is a NEC MultiSpin 6V, Model # CDR-1350a. I have downloaded (on our other computer) the installation disk and the CD-ROM driver, on a floppy disk and tried to install them. No luck! There is power going to the CD-ROM because the light comes on when I insert a disk.
    What I am ultimately trying to do is upgrade the PC to Windows 98. I am not very familiar with DOS or Windows 3.1. Can someone, please, help me!

2. Killer Queen

Killer Queen

Is your other machine running windows 95/98? If so do you have a start-up disk which you could try booting from? If you do this should pull in the cd-rom drive and you can then install windows 95/98 from there. You do not say whether this is an intermittent fault or you have never been able to use it, perhaps trying a different data cable would be an idea?

3. shodobe

shodobe

You know this might sound a bit silly but I had almost the same problem.The light would go on but the unit would not detect the CD. I called a repair shop and the tech said that 90% of the time the only problem wrong with a non-functioning CD-ROM was it was DIRTY. I got a CD cleaner disc and what do you know! It worked! I do not use my CD-Rom very much and this was all that was wrong with mine. Maybe it will work, for $8 it can't hurt. Good luck Mike

4. Macklins

Macklins Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for responding. To answer your question, Killer Queen, we have never been able to use the CD-ROM. We tried using the Windows 98 boot disk, but the response is always something on the lines of, "illegal disk in drive A, please check the drive and retry". We have taken the case apart and the CD-ROM appears to be connected correctly. And we are just recently noticing that at start-up (with no disk in either drive), we get this message..."primary slave HDD error". Could this possibly have something to do with our problem(s)?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice