1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Rom not Communicating Correctly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Denow, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Denow

John Denow Thread Starter

Hello again...

I'm working on my kid's PC...Running a AMD K6 450...128 RAM...Win 98......

My boy informed me that he is having a hard time getting games to load that require a CD. I tried a couple. After a couple seconds following insertion of a CD, it comes up with the usual menu (play, multiple player, options, exit,...)

The majority of the time after hitting "play", the screen goes blank and stay there. There seems to be no pattern. Sometimes the game will come up on its own after 5...10...15 minutes. Sometimes not at all.

It seems that once a game loads, other subsequent games load much quicker, unless we restart the PC for some reason...Then we're back to the waiting game.

I just replaced the 40X CD-Rom with a CD R/RW 12/8/32.( My boy wanted a burner..12x was the same as the 8x after rebate) I thought the previous CD Rom may have been touchy, but the new one behaves the same way

I already deleted the CD drive from device manager and rebooted..No difference...Any Suggesitons????

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Sounds like a possible memory issue with the fact it begins to get easier as you go, right up untill you reboot.

I'm not too familiar in this area, but one thing you can try is:

* Right click on My Computer
    * Click on Performance
    * File Systems
    * CD-ROM
    * Make sure a large supplimental cache is selected and the Optimize access pattern is set for Quad-speed or higher.

If that doesn't help, when was the last time your hard drive was defragmented?

This could be way off, but it won't hurt trying :)

3. John Denow

I checked the settings as you suggested. Settings were at large Cache....Quad speed or higher....I will try defrag, but I just installed a new hard drive...shouldn't be an issue.

Was acting up prior to new harddrive according to my boy, but he didn't say anything until now.

4. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Hmm, that could make it very hard to track down if it's been happening a while, and you don't know when since.

You can forget the defragmant, I didn't know you had a new drive.

When you installed the new drive, did you start fresh or do you still use the old one/copy full backup of old drive?

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

First make sure that the CDRW jumper is set to Master. Then connect it straight to the second IDE Port on the MOBO. In the BIOS you can set the Secondary Master to CDRom or None. Next, after you save and exit the BIOS, boot up the computer and Right click on "MY COMPUTER". Left click on Properties. Click on Device Manager. Click on the plus sign next to CDROM. Click on the CDRW listed. Click on Properties. Click on settings. Now click on the box next to DMA to place a check mark in it. Also be sure that the Auto Insert Notification box is checked as well. Click OK. Restart when asked. Hope this helps. KW1 :)

6. John Denow

I guess I spoke too soon. Ran "Defrag" and it said hard drive had errors. Ran "Scan Disk" per Windows recommendation and then completed "Defrag". Problem is still there, but at least I got rid of some previously unknown disk errors.

Kilowatt...Just to clarify you recommendation.....The MB has 3 cable connections....one is going to the floppy....IDE 0 is going to hard drive...IDE 1 is going to CD/RW.

I assume these connections are correct??

If so, I will check the BIOS settings as you suggested. Just wanted to make sure the cable connections were what you expected.

Thanks

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

John your connections appear to be ok.

In the bios setup, you'll have IDE 0 as master and if you have the option for slave, it should say none.

On the IDE 1, you'll have that as master as well, and if you have the option for slave, it should say none.

I'm assuming that the little jumpers on both drives are also set to Master.

Also on the DMA settings....if you already have a check mark in the auto insert and DMA, try unchecking them....restart the computer and see if that helps.

8. John Denow

Hi Again.....

In BIOS, Primary Master is "auto", Primary Slave is "none", Secondary master was "auto"...is now "none", Secondary Slave is "none"

Is the Device Manager CD/RW settings, I have 4 options available to check...

1. Disconnect
    2. Sync Data Transfer
    3. Auto Insert Notification
    4. DMA

DMA and AutoInsert are currently the only one's that are now checked. I restarted and still now improvement.

What do Disconnect and Sync Data Transfer do? Should they be checked?

Any other suggestions???

Thanks again

9. ~Candy~

Try unchecking the DMA and auto insert.....reboot.

10. John Denow

Tried it with everything unchecked.. no improvement. The only thing that change was that I had to go into "my Computer and click on the CD/RW to get the disk to boot up, then the usual long wait. I assume this was due to unchecking auto detecy.What else would you suggest??

11. ~Candy~

Have you tried unchecking everything except for systray, explorer and scanreg in your misconfig start-up tab?

What video card is installed? Have those drivers been updated?

Also, how large is the power supply?

Any conflicts on the IRQs for sound and video? Could you post a listing of the IRQs? Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok.....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

12. John Denow

IRQ's are as follows:

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401 Compatible
    10 HSP56 MicroModem
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 (free)
    12 ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3)
    12 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

Looks like I've got a ATI 3D Rage Video card. Where would I get the updated drivers?

I think the power supply was only a 150 watt. Don't know for sure. I'd have to pull the case apart to check. Figured I'd let you take a look at the IRQ's before I pulled things apart again

I previously tried end tasking all items except Explorer and Systray before loading a disk. No improvement. I assume that would be the same as deleting them at start up??

Further suggestion?????

13. Cosmoe

Cosmoe

I say you should see if it really is the cd-roms fault or not, try transfering a big file from your cd-rom to your harddrive, or you can get speed testing software such as sisoft sandra ( http://www.3bsoftware.com/ )
    btw, i dont really think having a 3d rage helps your problem if its newer games your running (unless i got my video cards messed up)
    anyways,
    gl

14. ~Candy~

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice