1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-Rom not detecting after W2K Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by permis, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. permis

permis Thread Starter

I have a MicroFlex Laptop with a Celeron 400Mhz processer and 64 MB of Ram. I recently did a clean upgrade to Win 2K Pro and now my Teac CD-224E drive is not found by Windows on start up. I have power to the drive and I have checked all connections. This drive worked fine for the installation and then, poof!!! No drive. Thanks in advance.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'm wondering if you need real mode drivers......since you upgraded instead of doing a new install, can you take a look to see if you can find autoexec.bat and config.sys to see if there is a line added for the cdrom?

But come to think of it, more than likely they would have been renamed......so maybe do a search for autoexec*.* and then config*.*

3. permis

permis Thread Starter

I do have an autoexec.bat and a config.sys, but upon searching I found a autoexe.nt and a config.nt.

The autoexec.nt says:mad:echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
    REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
    REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

The Config.nt is basicly the same with REM statements and then:

dos=high, umb
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    files=40

My autoexec.bat refer to the :

C:\winnt\system32\mscdexnt.exe /D:TEAC-CDI /M:15

Hope this helps you help me
    ;)

4. ~Candy~

Did you have NT on this machine before? What do you mean by a 'clean' upgrade?

It appears you had real mode drivers loading before.

5. permis

permis Thread Starter

I had Win98SE before. What I did on this machine is repartition the free space on the drive to a "D" drive. Move all data files I needed to save to "D". Then I repartitioned "C" as NTFS and formated. I them loaded Win2K Pro on to the formated "C" drive. I think the real mode references in the autoexec.bat are from my attempts up to now to get the drive working by using some driver installation disks that came with the machine. THX

6. brianF

brianF

Have you tried control panel, add remove hardware/add trouble shoot a device

7. ~Candy~

When you boot the computer up, can you do step by step (sorry, I'm not that familiar with 2K) and see if you are getting an error message relating to the cdrom?

Oh, good, brian, my 2K buddy has arrived......I'm going to call it a night....will check back on you in the a.m........you're in good hands :)

8. permis

permis Thread Starter

Thx AcaCandy for the help. I tried the F8 key on boot and it just gives me an option to try profile 1 with no help. Brian... The drive is not showing up. I try to run troubleshooter with no luck and tried to force manually install with no luck.

9. brianF

brianF

10. permis

permis Thread Starter

Well... Lucky me. My drive dosn't have jumpers :( . It tells whether or not it is a master from the CSEL signal on pin-47 in the interface connector. So no go on that. Thx...

11. ~Candy~

12. permis

permis Thread Starter

On the compliance issue... I have a 5300C and it shows no problems with compatabilty. I will take the Cdrom out an check on the dip's and get back with you. THX

13. permis

permis Thread Starter

Well... of course... my luck... no dip switches on my cdrom.

14. ~Candy~

Well, I think I would try to reinstall the real mode drivers from their website one more time.......

15. permis

permis Thread Starter

I tried to install the drivers from the site again with no luck. I found a win98 startup disk, which used to find the cdrom, and tried to boot up with that. It didn't work. So now I think it's down to a hardware problem. I just need to try to see if it is the drive, cable or the port. I think I have a cdrom like this on on my laptop docking station at work, so I'll test that Monday. Thanks for everybodys help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice