Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CD ROM not Reading Data CD's

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
I have a CD ROM and a CD Burner.....I am able burn music CD's and all other disks except data.....When I burn a data CD and place it into my CD ROM Drive, it will not read it...I can place that same CD back into my burner and it will read...but now when I burn a music CD, I can place it into my CD ROM and it will read it....what gives.....thanx

#2 ·
Rocky1---I'm going to take a shot here, but first I need a little more info. How old is the CD-ROM drive? Did you add the CD-Burner later after you purchased the computer? Do you have access to someone else's CD-ROM drive?

#3 ·
Yes I have added the CD Burner....the hardware is connected as follows....one IDE cable from Mobo to harddrive with the CD ROM in between....another IDE cable from the Mobo to the ZIP Drive and then on to the CD Burner.....another IDE cable from the Mobo to the floppy...

I have just about got all the others taken care except for the Floppy and the CD ROM....I can't do anything with the floppy....when I right click on it, the hour glass comes up and rotates for several minutes, then nothing.......I can't get get my CD ROM/DVD to run any burned disks (data or music)...But it will run other disks

Not sure how these should be set up (Master or Slave)..

#4 ·
Rocky1----Take one of the Data CD's and try it in another computer. If the second computer reads the CD then you might have a bad CD-ROM drive.

As far as master/slave there is a difference of opinion. I would have the harddrive set as master and the CD-ROM as slave. On the second IDE ribbon set the CD-Burner as master and the Zip as slave. If your not sure how to do this let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.