1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Rom not reading discs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChuckJP, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

I just upgraded to XP Pro, so I don't know if it has anything to do with it. My drive ( Creative 52X ) became erratic after the upgrade, now it won't read any discs. Auto start fires up when I put in a disc ( audio or data ) but then stops. If I use explorer to check the disc, It tells me to insert a disc. It appears as if the drivers, etc. are fine. Before I trash the drive, is there a way to check it out? I have a cat, I was wondering if I just need to clean the drive somehow, maybe it has cat hair blocking the reading laser or something. How would I clean or check that?

2. Rockn

Rockn

I doubt it's a hairball problem....more than likely XP! Look at all the posts regarding CD-ROM's and XP....see a pattern?? I would go to creatives web site and see if they have drivers or a firmware update for your drive before anything.

Well maybe not that many posts (could be my dislike for XP has jaded me)

3. slipe

slipe

Go to device manager and delete the drive. It should load new drivers on reboot.

If you have some canned air you can try blowing some in the direction of the laser/reader assembly. Not to close though as it could damage it.

4. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

Um, no, I guess I didn't check that far back in the posts to see any other Creative/XP problems. I may have been a lucky one, ( maybe not? ) I haven't XPerienced any real problems since I've upgraded to XP. I didn't see any drivers available for the 52X on the Creative site though.

My Yamaha 16/10/40 CD-RW is working fine and is now doing double duty. I'd just like to figure out if it is hardware, software, etc. that is causing my Creative CD to not read discs. I think it worked "a little" (erratically) after the upgrade, now it reads nothing.

5. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

Slipe....

Won't that just load the same "recent" XP drivers?

6. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

I deleted the drive and rebooted. I'm assuming, since I didn't install a Creative disk driver, that it installed the same XP driver as before. It knew what drive it was ( CD5233E ) and appeared to install the drivers. Still no luck...

Is this only a problem with Creative CD's or is it any CD rom? I guess if I can't get this thing to work, CD Roms are dirt cheap now.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!