1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-Rom not reading disks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VgtPrncfllSy, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VgtPrncfllSy

VgtPrncfllSy Thread Starter

My CD-Rom/DVD-Rom drive is no longer reading disks. I put a new ribbon cable in and it has power going to it, and all of the drivers are fully updated.

I don't know whats wrong with it anymore. The only thing I can think of is this: I changed my "DVD Region" in the device manager for it, but it was to the US, would it mess with it like that?

2. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

Have you tried a firmware update?

Make sure Reg Code is 1

0 Informal term meaning "playable in all regions"
    1 Bermuda, Canada, United States and U.S. territories
    2 Most of Europe, the Middle East, Egypt, Greenland, Japan, Lesotho, South Africa, Swaziland
    3 Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Taiwan
    4 Central America, Oceania, South America, Mexico
    5 The rest of Africa, Eastern Europe, South Asia, Mongolia, North Korea, Russia
    6 Mainland China
    7 Reserved for future use
    8 International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc.

3. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

From what i remember that would only effect the regions of movies you would view. One note about it, dont change it, as even if you reinstall windows, you will not get any more than the numbered amount of chances to change it.

4. awalker0878

He said he already changed it I am just making sure he changed it to the right region

5. VgtPrncfllSy

Okay, it's on region one. But I would like help with this firmware...

I found it, this exact model the exact brand, but it says it's not compatible.

TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492A

This is what I was trying to use: http://www.samsung.com/support/prod...ode=1402&model=TS-H492A&filetype=FM&language=

http://samsung.com/Products/OpticalDiskDrive/COMBO/CDDVD_Writer_COMBOHalf_Height_TS_H492A.htm

Mine doesn't look like that though, but it's the same model, though I can't find the word "Samsung" anywhere, nor any other brand name.

6. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

Sorry, guess i didnt read hard enough.

7. VgtPrncfllSy

Can you help with the firmware problem? I'm pretty sure it's the right stuff.

8. awalker0878

I am not quite sure, I cannot any info about TSSTcorp company, it should be fine but I would double check the cdrom specs and make sure they match (write speed, read speed, cache etc)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice