1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM Not Reading/ USB Showing as CD Rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KP82, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KP82

KP82 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am hoping someone will be able to give me some sort of advice as to what may be going on and/or what to do, or where to go next. I have a Gateway NV73 LapTop…that possibly may not even matter, though. I am using windows 7.

I’ve recently (a month ago) installed Magic Jack onto my laptop-and have had zero issues until now. I was in the process of writing/burning a music CD via Nero 7 Premium. I was on my 2nd CD (I finished one CD, and it worked just fine), when all of a sudden my computer would no longer read my blank CD …later to realize that is was not reading any CD. And even later to realize that my computer was reading my USB post (where my Magic Jack is installed) as my CD Drive.

Ive tried DVDS, CDS, and it will not pick up anything. It always prompts me to “insert a CD and opens my CD door). So, it opens and closes fine…the green light goes on and then off. And it even registers as if it is TRYING to read the CD drive because the CD light above my keyboard constantly is blinking on and off.

I’ve uninstalled Nero. I’ve cleaned the registry via PC tolls registry cleaner. Ive even deleted the filters (both lower and upper). And nothing has worked. I wiped off the CD lens too.

Does this appear to possibly be something installed on my computer that is suspicious….?
    Any words of wisdom will help. I use my CD-Rom all the time!

Thank you in advance!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!