1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Rom not recognized on Dell notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by georgeland, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. georgeland

georgeland Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 3500. When I swap out the floppy drive for a CD player it still shows up as a floppy and I cannot access the CD. I have swaped out with the machine off.
    This is driving me a little batty. Can anyone help?
    Many thanks,
    George

2. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Is the CD-Rom enabled in the BIOS?
    If yes when you reboot the system, does the system detects the CD-ROM prior to boot to windows?

3. georgeland

It must be enabled because if I take the computer out of the replicator, take out the battery, and hold down the start button for 30 sec or so, when I ther put the CD Rom in it recognizes it. Otherwise if I just replace it the computer still says I have a floppy installed. This process was the only answer Dell could provide. I am hoping there is a simpler way.
    Thanks for helping.

4. georgeland

Problem solved! I took the laptop out of the replicator, booted up, then shut down and put back in replicator. It then recognized the cd rom. Aparently the configuration for the replicator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice