Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CD ROM not showing up

14K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  mic-be-me 
#1 ·
I'm trying to help someone with a PC related issue. They have a Dell GX 270 model PC.
Their CDROM is not showing up in my computer area nor in the device manager. I swapped out the CDROM with a different one and it is still not being recognized. When I checked the bios, the boot sequence does not show the CDROM device. How can I resolve this issue?

#4 ·
Are the jumpers set correctly on the back of the cd drive ?

You will have a choice of 'Master', 'Slave' or CS(Cable select)

#5 ·
There is no jumpers on these cd roms. It's the dell gx 270 models desktop. There is only a ribbon cable and a small pin insertion for power and thats it. As I mentioned I even swapped out the floppy drive with a different one and it's still not showing up. No error messages in the device managers. Event Viewer does not show up anything either.

#8 ·
1. Welcome to tsg.

2. Be a bit more specific as far as OS, what has happened to cause the cd rom to drop out, what make is the pc and the cd drive, etc.

3. Start your OWN thread; stuff that is added (piggybacked) onto another thread stands a very good chance of being overlooked.

Answer those three and we should be able to help you out rather nicely.

v

#9 ·
A drive with no drive select jumper settings. This is interesting. What is the make and model number of this cd drive? The problem is if there is no way to set the drive select then the computer is not going to recognize it. I would suggest to movr it to the other connector on the cable and see what happens.

#10 ·
i AM RUNNING WINDOWS 98. MY COMPUTER IS A GX110 OPTIPLEX. I APPOLOGISE FOR PIGGY BACKING,BUT I AM NEW TO THIS AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND VERY WELL HOW TO WORK WITH THIS YET. I HAD TO PULL OUT THE MOTHER BOARD BATTERY TO BE ABLE TO GET INTO SET UP. THAT WORKED FINE,BUT NOW THE COMPUTER KEEPS SAYING THERE IS NO CD ROM CONNECTED. I CHECKED ALL CONNECTIONS AND EVEN INSTALLED ANOTHER CD ROM, STILL NO GOOD. WHEN THE COMPUTER STARTS IT DOES LIGHT UP THE ROM LIGHT AND MAKES A RUNNING NOISE, BUT THEN IT STOPS. THANK YOU REPLYING TO MY PIGGY BACK AND AGAIN I APPOLOGISE.

#11 ·
suarez200 Please start your own thread or watch this thread and see if the problem we try to solve also fixes yours. It is confusing when trying to help someone and somebody else jumps in with their problems. Please!

RockXP Try replacing the IDE ribbon. They do go bad.

#13 ·
What is the make and model of the cd drive? Maybe it is out of another type of computer or a deck of some sort.

#14 ·
RockXP said:
I'm trying to help someone with a PC related issue. They have a Dell GX 270 model PC.
Their CDROM is not showing up in my computer area nor in the device manager. I swapped out the CDROM with a different one and it is still not being recognized. When I checked the bios, the boot sequence does not show the CDROM device. How can I resolve this issue?
I just ran across this forum.
I'm wanting to know if this problem was ever resolved. I have a GX200 866mohs that I received from a friend. The CDROM isn't showing up in the Bios Boot Sequence. The only thing that shows up is the floppy. I reflashed the Bios from A03 to A05 and didn't see any difference. Except it now shows Bios ver A05.

If I need to post this in a different place I can.
This is the exact problem I'm having, so I posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.