CD-Rom only reads certain disks...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alamal

I just finished working on a friends IBM, 200mghz, Pentium, 128mb RAM pc upgraded to Win98se only to find that it will only read factory burned CD's and ones that were burned on a pc. That is with the exception of one which was a copy of a program.
In fact, the ones it wouldn't read would come up as a musical CD.
Can anyone tell me what this is all about and a possble fix?
I'd be most grateful!
God bless and have a wonderful Christmas everyone!!!
Peter

Well, with the specifications of the system you mentioned, Ill assume the CD Rom drive is that old also.

Older CD Roms tend to be easier to replace than to repair. (Think VCR's.. cheaper to replace than to repair).

They are easily obtained for less than $20. Heck, you can get a CDRW/DVDRW for $49..

If youre bent on fixing it, get a cleaning disc from your local store and try that.. Other than that, give it a proper burial, and move on. :)

-Gonz

alamal

Hey Gonz, thanks for the quick reply. I replaced that with another Cd-rom and it, too, did the same thing. The only thing is is that that cd also is pretty old BUT not as old as the original. :)
Can I have my money back??? Just kiddin' Gonz, just kiddin'. I just couldn't pass up the last part of your signature.
The only other thing is that the person who owns this is, well, not doing financially well right now. I'm the guy these folks come to when they can't take their pc in. Heck, I charge the same rates as you! :)
Thanks Gonz and may God bless,
Peter

Had problem like that years back, when I had a friend burn some downloads to a disc for me. It was caused by the use of cd-rw (rewritables) instead of cd-r. The Cd-rom just would not read the rewritables.

Well, if you were in St. Louis, I'd offer to give you one of my spares, but Wisconsin is a bit far :)

Happy Holidays!

-Gonz

SirKenin

Banned
Yeah, sometimes it's all the type of media you used. Some CD-Rs were better to burn with than others.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online