1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd rom problem HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hondajj, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hondajj

hondajj Thread Starter

Hey there Gurus im new to this sight and have added it to my Favorites very nice sight ; My problem is I think I have lost my Cd roms driver and have tried every thing to get it back when using my startup disk i get the followin. ( Device driver not found MSCDoo1) no valid CDROM device drivers selected. Im running windows 98se and just need some insight as to what I should try next I have tried to down load the drivers but can not seem to get it to load. I even downlaoded a new windows boot disc but that didnt work ether hehe just when i thought i was getting good at this stuff im humbled to it :) If there is any help i could get i would really appreciate it Thanks Ahead of time .

JJ

2. slipe

slipe

Welcome to TSG.

Your CD-ROM drive doesn’t need drivers to run in Windows unless it is a very old 2X or 4X drive.

Your problem seems to be that the generic DOS drivers on the startup disk aren’t working. Confirm you selected the choice to start with CD-ROM support – that usually loads the drivers.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Go to the startup disk tab and make your own start disk. Format it first if you aren’t sure it is new and formatted – right click on your A drive and select format.

3. hondajj

hondajj Thread Starter

Slipe thanks so much But it is 24 cd drive but still im going to try right now making a new start up disk and try that Thanks again Slipe :)

4. hondajj

hondajj Thread Starter

Opps I tried to make a new disc but it said to use windows 98 disc wich is in the Cd drive but since it dont recognize the D; drive cant make a new disc hehe :(.

5. slipe

slipe

Confirm you downloaded the OEM. Try one from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm

The only thing I might suggest is to remove the CD-ROM drive in device manager and reboot – that will cause Windows to reload it. No drivers are required for an internal IDE 24X drive so don’t try to load any.

If it won’t work in Windows and won’t work with the boot disk DOS drivers it usually means your drive has gone south. Reseat all of the connections. I just suggested downloading a boot disk I know works as a last ditch.

6. hondajj

hondajj Thread Starter

Gotchya Slipe I failed to mention that there is no (D: drive} in my device manager as well seems everything just poofed . I can load a disc but of cours nothing happens .I do appreciate your help Slipe. I will keep trying Just wondering is there a file or something that might be missin in Dos that could cause this ? Btw please Bare with me first time using a post on such Puter problems . I tried the boot disc down load from the sight ya mentioned alrdy also; it did not work . hehe thats when i decided to seek a little help .

JJ

7. slipe

slipe

You don’t need anything to make a 24X CD-ROM work. Windows loads it.

If nothing is showing in device manager I would open the case (shut down of course) and reseat the ribbon cable at both ends and the power connector. If you are getting no indications of power to the unit you might try a different power connector if there is one.

My best guess is that the unit has gone tits up.

8. hondajj

hondajj Thread Starter

Thanks Slipe got it fixed was rem missing in config.sys file.

JJ

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice