1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd rom problem still not fixed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by john32, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john32

john32 Thread Starter

My cd rom keeps opening and closing. It was driving me nuts so I ran a virus scan and no viruses. I checked the button and it wasn't jammed. SO I just unhooked the darn thing. And now at startup it is running wierd. It takes longer now to go to the welcome menue. What has happned here and how can I fix it. DO I need to Tell the computer I disconected someting. If so how woud I do it. Thanks...

2. Binary_Wolf

Binary_Wolf

Hiyas

I've seen a few roms do this, open and close. Don't worry though, you don't need to d an exorcism. ;) From what i've seen and been told the pcb goes a little faulty and just keeps sending out the signal to open and close the bay, even though the button isn't being pressed. Roms are rather cheap nowdays, so it's not really worth the hassle trying to fix it, unless you're in the mood for some investigating.

As for the slow boot, could be that your system is set to boot from rom first...which isn't working. Just set in the BIOS to boot from HDD first, and/or disable the ROM option until you replace it. It's normally under the second menu in Award Bios's, Advanced Chipset i believe.

Good luck and i hope this answers your questions.

Regards
    BW

3. wacor

wacor Banned

did you try a system restore? would not hurt to give it a go but doubt that will fix it.

4. john32

john32 Thread Starter

The reboot problem seem to have cleared up it's self. I will call of the exorcism for now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!