1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd rom problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ckch03, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckch03

ckch03 Thread Starter

i am just about at the end of my rope with my comp. my os is win 7 32bit home premium. my problem started a few days ago and I really don't know why. I am baffled. autoplay in win 7 will not work with my cd-rw/dvd rom which is a Toshiba sd-r2312. I have been burning cd's and until 3 days ago when I try to put a cd in my rom I cannot view any contents of any cd whether it was made or store bought. when I put in a memory stick I get autoplay no problem but when I put a cd in my rom it goes straight to playing in wmp. try to open a cd to look inside of it nothing all the info I get is track 1 and aside from the number I get 1kb. that's it. now heres what I have tried so far.(DRIVERS AND CD ROM CHECK OUT OK ALL UPDATED DRIVERS)

I thought maybe reinstall windows cuz something messed up somewhere. ok did that still same problem. tried a different cd-rw/dvd rom. still same problem. autoplay will not work. went so far as to dump windows 7 and put windows xp pro on my machine. guess what still even in xp autoplay will not work and cannot view cd's contents. so put win 7 back on my machine all updated to the last update and driver still put a cd in and it goes straight to play and no autoplay option. check registry entries and no foul play there either all is good. I really don't know what to do anymore I cannot stand windows anymore I wish there was another company with better os. to me I would imagine this has got to be a windows OS problem because its not a cd rom device problem. so if anyone can help please let me know.

oh by the way yes I have enough memory also a new hard drive so that is not my problem I think

thankyou, ckch03

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Well it does not sound like an OS issue, since you have reinstalled from scratch twice. And since you have tried a different cd-dvd rom (known to be good I assume). Maybe you have a bad data cable? Also if you have a chance you may want to try a USB external cd-dvd rom, that would settle it.

3. ckch03

ckch03 Thread Starter

ok cleaver that sounds bad. is there any way to fix the cable. I have no idea what it is. also I tried usb cd rom and same thing cannot read cd's contents. I can still burn and play but I cannot copy any songs or data from other cd's as I got no information about whats on the disk

4. needamiracle

needamiracle

Just a couple of suggestions.
    There are millions of fake DVDs on sale in the world - take a few to an IT shop to see
    if they are useable there.
    Ditto with the DVD drive - it may have become defective - it happens ...
    And/or take the PC/Laptop, whatever, to the shop for a cable and general checkup.
    good luck

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Depending on the data cable connected to the CD-Rw/DVD Rom IDE or Sata Either should be available for just a few dollars from a computer shop or even maybe Best Buy.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    That Toshiba optical drive is a laptop type so I assume you have a laptop. If so what make and model is it ?

7. ckch03

ckch03 Thread Starter

yes the drive is on my laptop and the model of the laptop is nec versa but the thing is I have tried other drives on my laptop same results there is no folder option in autoplay also no disk info or contents. example I put music cd from store bought all I get is track 1 and to the right of that it says 1kb that's it all it says. should give more details than that when you put a cd in. tried Toshiba in another laptop works perfect

8. CleaverX

CleaverX

OK let's get back to basics. When you look at the CD contents using Windows Explorer do you see all the music files?

9. ckch03

ckch03 Thread Starter

hey cleaver answer to your question is no there is no music files. just when I put cd in rom open it all there is track1--------------------------------------------1kb that's what it looks like hope that helps

10. ckch03

ckch03 Thread Starter

this is what looks like for all cd's and dvd's no info

11. CleaverX

CleaverX

Please upload one or two screenshots so we can see for ourselves.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice