1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD ROM Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jordxn7, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jordxn7

jordxn7 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently obtained a new 'old' AST 233MX. I had windows on another old computer which I didn't really want any more so to 'save time' I just put the hard drive in the newer one. Unfortunetly the CD Rom won't work, (The hard drive is partitioned into C:, and D: ). If start up with a boot disk it does find the cd rom excpet not my hard drive. PLEASE HELP!

I'm also wondering about a PCI Ethernet Controller drives but I'll save that for another day. ANY HELP is apprecaited,

Thanks;
    Jordan

2. deuce

deuce

So can you boot into windows? Swaping hard drives like that is fairly hard to do since usually none of the drivers are usually good anymore and you need to get all new ones. If you can get into windows, and all that isn't working is the cd then you can either obtain the correct drivers for it and install them or you can use the cd from the "old" computer (the one that originally had the HD you are using) and put that in since the HD already has the drivers for it. If it isn't booting then you might need to start over and actually install windows. It will just be much easier and you will really spend more time trying to get all the right drivers where as a clean install only takes 30-60 min. Doing it the way you are now at the point of not being able to boot you will spend way more time than a clean install.

BTW... welcome to the boards... :)

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you go into the bios setup to 'tell' the machine about it's new hard drive?

4. jordxn7

jordxn7 Thread Starter

well kind of,

Because it was a 10Gig drive I couldn't get it to the comupter to see in the old computer I had, so I had to get this program in order to get it to work, so when it boots up it has to find it every time, the program is called 'ONTRACK diskwizard by seagate technology.' I don't really know, but I think maybe I should just reboot reinstall windows...

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

No, you'll need the software overlay to recognize the drive if your bios isn't.....maybe I am misunderstanding your post....you CAN get into windows, is that correct? And once there the cdrom drive isn't being recognized? If so, you may need to load real mode drivers in the autoexec.bat or config.sys files.

What is the make and model of the cdrom?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice