1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM problems! Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cameronc07, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cameronc07

cameronc07 Thread Starter

hello, i have a very complicated problem that i have spent like 2 days working on.... I built this computer and i am using my old CD-ROM drive. I have got a detection for my hard drive in the [post] boot menu. BUt i will only get a detection for my CD-ROM drive if it is on the primary IDE...... and it will not work on my secondary IDE no matter what i do.

My boot setup is:
    Primary Master: AUTO [this is where my hard drive is]
    Primary Slave: AUTO
    Secondary Master:AUTO [my cd-rom is here but will not read] !!!
    Secondary Slave:AUTO

I have no connection problems, i have switched configurations a possible 100 times, been through the boot menu 100 times,
    cant find anything wrong and it should work. i am completely stumped.

can anyone help me..... ask questions and i will specify

2. cameronc07

i am running windows XP SP2!

i have a asus p4sgx-mx motherboard
    my CD-ROM is IDE capable and worked on my previous computer well - The power is on and when i plug it back in my oldie it works great on secondary IDE

3. norton850

norton850

When you put in on the primary IDE is it as a slave? Are your jumper settings correct?

4. cameronc07

can you tell me what jumper settings are? [emphasize]

i cannot put this type of CD-ROM in this computer as primary slave because this CD-ROM came from a compact computer that used the secondary IDE to run it. I cant plug my hard drive and my cd-rom together, though i have tried to put my ooooold CD-ROM [back in 97] (ATAPI kind i think) and it would read the CD-ROM in the my-computer window and device manager, but would not work because it is quite outdated.

5. norton850

norton850

Sure, but let me ask you two things first. In your old system was the CD drive on its own channel or did it share a connector with another drive? In your new system when you connect it to the Primary IDE channel do you also have your hard drive connected to the Primary IDE?

6. cameronc07

My CD-ROM on the old comp was all by itself on the secondary
    My hard drive is on the primary on the old comp.

this is the same setup i am attempting with my new one, i am just not getting a read for the CD-ROM on secondary IDE channel. [its not booting]

7. norton850

norton850

Sorry I guess I didn't see the rest of your response. Here some info on Jumpers. The information also applies to CD and DVD drives. So in your old system was the CD drive the only drive on the Secondary IDE?

8. cameronc07

yes, a dell 4600c model, used the primary for hdd secondary for cd-rom no others on the IDE's

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice