1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD ROM Reader vs. CD ROM Writer Disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack1000, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

I just got a CD Burner installed on my PC! (Windows 98 OS) I am a little confused with the difference between CD-R disks and CD-RW disks. From what I understand, with a CD-R disk you can not modify a files data once it is saved. However, with a CD-RW you can edit and erase and modify the data that sits on an RW, just like a floppy:

BTW, is there any difference in the amount of data that a CD-R and CD-RW can hold?

OK my question is:

Let's say I have 100 Office documents that I want to copy to CD Rom, using a CD-R disk on a Monday. I know that using the CD-R disk that I can not do anything to the documents once on the CD Rom using the reader disk. Let's say that I have ample storage on the disk left after the burn is completed. Let's assume that everything about the burn is successful.

Let's say it's Friday and I want to add more documents to the reader disk that I created on Monday. Since they are new documents for the reader disk can I go ahead and burn them to that same disk that has the 100 documents on it? OR is burning with a CD Rom reader disk a one shot deal and I would have to use another disk for the remaining documents?

I understand that I can only modify existing backed up data with a CD-RW disk, but can I add new data to a CD-reader disk so long that I understand it can't be modified once added. (i.e can I do my example above using CD ROM reader disks?)

Do most of you use CD ROM-R disks or CD ROM-RW disks and which would you recommend for the most part?

Jack

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I'll see if I can make this real simple:
    Think of CD-R disks as "Writable" disks...
    Think of CD-RW disks as "Re-writable" disks...

Now,depending on how you set up the software configurations for your burner,yes...,you can write to a CD-R more than one time...,you can fill it up to capacity in several burning "sessions".You can leave the disk session "open" so that more data can be added to it at a later time.Or,you can close the "session" and it can then be read by most any CD-ROM drive.

Depending on what you are using to "read' the CD-R,it may look like one continuous recording.However,when it comes to recording audio tracks,each "session" is independant and a home stereo CD player cannot detect multiple session disks.So,you may only hear a few songs (the 1st session) and then it will stop.this is not true of the CD burner drive in your computer though,it will see all of the recorded data or music.

A CD-RW is about the same in volume,but you are correct,it can be erased,over-written,modified in multiple manners.CD-RW disks are usually used for automated back-ups for that reason alone,since it can handle being "updated" instead of files just being "added".

I prefer to use CD-RW disks for transferring files from one computer to another,since there seems to be a better compatibility with standard CD-ROM drives and those disks.Most CD-ROMs have a difficult time detecting "open session" CD-R disks (waiting to have more added to them).
    Although a bit small,a CD-RW can be used like a virtual hard-drive,but of course the writing process does slow things down a bit.
    I use CD-R disks for music and archiving of files that I know will not require being modified.

Does that help?

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Yes....thank you!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!