1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Rom recognition

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Bobstar, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobstar

Bobstar Thread Starter

After I formatted and partitioned my HD, I can't get my CD-Rom to read my Win 95 cd for installation. The computer will boot to the C drive, and I ran the Floppy that came with my CD-Rom. It asked for the MSCDEX, which I gave to it, but nothing happens when I put in my Win 95 cd. If I boot to my c drive,and type in D:\setup, it says invalid drive. how can I install win 95 if It wont read my CD Rom? Can you help? Bobstar

2. beach51

beach51

Hi Bobstar,welcome to TSG.Try this go to the C:\prompt,put in the floppy,Type a:\readme (hit the enter key)now follow the instructions for installing your cd-rom

Let us know if this works

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

;) Hello Bobstar,

The easiest thing to do is to boot with a Win98 bootdisk which has the necessary CDRom drivers included on it. If you don't have one go Here and download one. Be sure to follow the instructions on building it to a floppy disk. KW1

4. Bobstar

Bobstar Thread Starter

I read the readme file on the inst disk for the cd-rom (creative 52x). It said that I needed to go into the autoexec.bat file and remove REM from in front of the command for the CD. When I looked , Autoexec was not there, so I loaded it in with a different floppy. After that, when I tried to open the file to edit it, It said that it was a illegal option, and that I was missing a cd rom driver called mscd001. After a few more tries, things got worse. I had a win 98 startup disk that worked at one time, but all it would do is hang at "verifying dmi pool". The win 95 start disk that I used was able to get the C drive to boot, but is it possible that I now have two versions of dos on my hard drive? I let a guy take it to his place today hoping that he and his hacker buddies could help, but at last report, they had no luck either. I am going to download the Win 98 disk from the reply, and format and partition again with it only, if I can get the computer to boot to it. Sure was hoping those kids could save my @$$ , but I'm not too sure now. They talk a good talk. I'm so glad that it is my old machine and not this one! I will be sure and let you guys know how it comes out. Dinking around in the autoexec.bat was what started this mess.

5. Bobstar

Bobstar Thread Starter

Went to bootdisk.com to get a new one, but the site would not load. I will try to find another place to download one. Bobstar

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice