1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd-rom Slot

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ezy, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ezy

ezy Thread Starter

Hello All,
    Been quite some time since I wrote last to you and I hope I have this in the correct place.
    This is what happened to me this morning. I was going to put my Windows 98 cd-rom in the slot (and did) but I'd forgotten I had one in there, so I shut the door and it started whirring and wheezing and then it just stopped making noise, so I guess the cd-rom is someplace in my computer.
    Can someone tell me what to do? Please remember that I'm an ol' grandma and don't know about the "insides" of the computer but my hubby tried to see if we could find it and took the cover off the case; couldn't see it. Do you think it's somewhere in where the slot is? I opened the door and didn't see anything.
    Would be grateful for any help.

Thanks so much,
    Ezy

2. GazmanAus

GazmanAus

Ugh, could be bad news I'm afraid. :( If they are both jammed in there, you might have to shell out for a new CD-ROM. Fortunately, they're not too expensive anymore.

One thing to try is to get a straightened paper-clip or a pin and stick it in the small pinhole that should be in the front of the CD-ROM and hope that this will eject a disc or at least part of one to try and allow you to pull one out.

3. ezy

ezy Thread Starter

Hi There,
    Thanks for answering me. Both of the CD's didn't go inside the computer, just the second one. I think I can hear it when I open or close the door on the slot for the CD-Rom. I have this awful urge to put a cd in and see if it plays but I also want my Windows98 one back. ;-)
    Is there no way to fix it by taking the cover off of it? Would it be in the box where the cd fits into?

Thank you again,
    Ezy

4. GazmanAus

GazmanAus

I'm confused (which isn't too hard to do anyways ;) ). How many CDs do you have stuck? Is there only the one in the actual CD-ROM and another somewhere else in the machine? Or is it just the one stuck in the CD-ROM slot? Where is the first CD now? Did the second CD miss the slot altogether and get stuck inbetween the CD-ROM and the case?

Doing what I said to do with the paper-clip manually triggers the eject mechanism, hopefully ejecting a stuck CD. If you think the CD is wedged somewhere else, then you can remove the CD-ROM itself and pull it out. Take note of any cables removed from the back of the CD-ROM and make sure that the computer is unplugged from the outlet and that you have grounded yourself against any static.

5. ezy

ezy Thread Starter

Hi GazmanAus,
    I have a feeling you live in Australia.
    There is one cd stuck. This morning when I went to put a cd in the slot I didn't know there already was one in it so put one on top of one already in there. Then after the whirring and whizzing got done it jus made a noise like somebody slinging something and I quickly opened the CD slot door and took the cd that was in there first out. So there's only one that is in the computer. I can hear something different when I open up the slot, sounds like the cd may be standing upright but I can't see it.
    I put a paper clip in the little hole and nothing happened; but I guess it wouldn't if the cd is standing upright.
    I guess I'll leave it alone because it scares me to think if I didn't get the wires and "stuff" back right it may do something because of the electricity.
    But thank you for trying to hel me. :)

Ezy

6. GazmanAus

GazmanAus

No problems with trying to help you out. I jusy hoped to get it worked out. :)

You say you can see something like a CD standing on edge when you open the CD-ROM door? Man, that sounds almost X-Fileish. ;)

To remove the CD-ROM isn't the hardest thing to do. Mainly, there are two very different looking cables and a couple of screws which hold the drive in the bay. As long as you're careful and take your time, you should be able to work it out.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of computer do you have?

7. ezy

ezy Thread Starter

Hi Again,
    I think the computer is a Rockwell. My son-in-law got it for me when he was going to school for Microsoft. He doesn't live nearby anymore. :mad:
    Well I guess I'll see if we can find someone to help us with it because I really don't believe it's worn out; it's just that there was two cd's in there at once and it whirred and spun and whizzed the first one off.
    Thank you again; I appreciate you helping me.

Ezy

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/128402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice