1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD- Rom stopped working while in use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmsmommy, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmsmommy

cmsmommy Thread Starter

My CD-Rom has stopped working. I was listening to an audio book on Windows Media Player when it froze up right in the middle of a track. I closed WMP and re-opened it. It said to insert a disc. I rebooted my computer, it still did not acknowledge there is a disc in the drive. I've tried several different discs, and different types. My Computer does not acknowledge them either.

I then tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver. Still does not acknowledge there is a disc in the drive, but the troubleshooter still continues to tell me the drive is working properly. It is spinning when I put in a new disc, but says there isn't one there. I'm stuck. What else can I try? Isn't it odd that it would stop working while I was listening to it??

Drive is HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B

2. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

how old is the drive and is it a dvd-rom drive.

3. cmsmommy

cmsmommy Thread Starter

it's a few years old, I'm not sure exactly, and no, it's not a DVD-rom

I did some more searching and came up with this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

but the guided fix ends in an error at step 0 (no changes made to your computer), and the manual fix directs you to edit the registry and delete a file that isn't there.

4. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

Solutions

1. You could could try a system restore of when it was working properly. this should fix any software issues

2. reboot pc without the drive physically installed
    sometimes it works

3. purchase a new drive. the optical laser in the drive may have sustained damaged or it just died

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice