1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Rom suddenly not showing up in device management/computer etc in Vista &wont eject

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by invaderpoe, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invaderpoe

invaderpoe Thread Starter

Yesterday I was burning a CD of some of my music to take to work and listen to. After burning 4-5 songs there was an error (windows media player) and it could not burn the rest.

I hit OK and exited the program, then went to eject myCD, and it did not open. So I go to My Computer to select eject, adn there is no cd drive lsited all of a sudden, and not one in Divice manager either.
    The LED light on the cd rom is still glowing green constantly, but it will not respond or try to open when I press eject. And it makes no sounds as if it is trying to read a disc or such.
    I tried system restoring to 2 days ago, but it did not fix the problem. I've tried unhooking it, and hooking it back up to no avail. I have tried the Mr Fixit program from the microsoft site, and it DETECTS the problem, and syas 'CDrom/Drive not being recognized" or such, but has a red X next to it saying it could not resolve the problem.
    I have also tried going intoo regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/
    {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Then deleting Upper and lower filters (mine only had upper) and rebooting. And still nothing.

This is very frustrating since I am an avid computer gamer and can no longer insert my game discs to play/etc.

I'd be beyond thankful if someone could help me fix this soon, and please put it in turns/steps I can understand. Aside from gaming and internet, I am a tech novice.

Thank you so much in advance!
    --Poe

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its likely a physical hardware problem. Open up the case, disconnect and reconnect both the power and data cables(on both ends) and see if the drive opens. If not the drive may have failed. The drive should even open with just the power cable connect and the data cable connected, so as a last test try ejecting the tray with only the power connected.

3. donhar

donhar

Mine did the same, except that device manager insisted the drive was normal!!! Lucky, had a different drive in USB box, so used it while waiting for replacement. Is this a quirk with SATA drives?? Anyway new drive solved problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/926035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice