1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM to sound card: analog or digital?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radrabik, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. radrabik

radrabik Thread Starter

Just about every CD-ROM drive has outputs for analog and digital. Sound cards have inputs for the same. Is there any advantage to using one over the other. My CD-ROM drives were always connected to the sound card via the analog connection, but now I have a brand new sound card and wondered if connecting up using the digital connection would be better. There seems to be no info out there addressing this issue.

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

3. deuce

deuce

On many sound cards, the digital input is for the DVD drive, the analog is for the CD... but usually there isn't a separate input for DVD that is labeled DVD. If you have a SPDIF and digital in, then you can use the SPDIF for the DVD and the digital for the CD. If you only have a CD and you use the digital, then there's no problem. For most uses (such as purely listening... sending sounds to the speaker to listen to) you won't notice any difference, but as long as you have the best then you might as well use the best. If you record (rip) mp3s and such to your computer, then I difinately say use the digital, but it wouldn't be used for anything else anyway, so go ahead and use it either way.

4. radrabik

radrabik Thread Starter

Thanks Paul and Mike. There are an abundance of hook-ups on my sound card, but I've never seen anything, especially in the sound card manuals I've looked through, that explained which connection from the CD-ROM would be preferred. I've had enough experience to know that one can't just assume things with computers. I'll hook up the digital connection since there doesn't seem to be a downside. Thanks again.

5. deuce

deuce

You might as well since it would just go unused anyway.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice