1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd Rom Unusable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnfghtr, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gnfghtr

gnfghtr Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

My three CD Roms are unusable. I am running XP. Several weeks ago, I tried to load Roxio CD Creator and it failed miserably. Not only did it not load properly, but it corrupted my cd rom drivers and they are kaput. In my device manager, I can still see the cd roms, but they have a yellow exclamation mark next to them saying:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have tried having a buddy send me the roxio CD to uninstall the roxio(none of my cd roms are working), which did uninstall roxio, but did not help my problem. I have tried going to their website and redownloading the drivers, to no avail. I tried having same buddy send me MY XP disc so that I could reinstall windows, but setup won't go(I think it's looking for itself on a drive letter). Searching for the correct driver to update the selected cd rom on the XP Disc has proved unfruitful. It keeps looking for a .inf file and all of the .inf files on the XP cd are not the ones I need. I am about to go out and buy a new hard drive so that I can hopefully have access to my cd roms and reload windows onto it so that I can make a slave out of my current hard drive, but that seems kinda pricey.

Please help Obi-Wan, you're my only hope,

Dave

2. Hillian

Hillian

Ive had the sae problem before and what I did was unistalled the dirve and waited for my pc to find the new hardware(should be an automatic process)then just reinstalled it and now it works fine :)

3. rodeogirl

rodeogirl

Uninstalling the drives is what I would do first as well. If you have no luck there is a neat program that you can get here http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php and it will tell you exactly what you have on your computer and then just go look for those drivers. Do you not have the cds that came with your computer? Most of your drivers are on those somewhere. I have a dell and I have all the installed software on those cds and yes I have used them many times.

4. gnfghtr

gnfghtr Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses!!

Hillian, I've done that several times and to no avail, the drivers are not booting correctly, even in safe mode.

Rodeo Girl, I don't have access to my cd roms to quickly load my discs into, but my buddy has sent me the whole cd rom from my XP cd and 2 of my cd roms(one burner and one straight cd), but trying to install them requires a .inf file that I can't find... Also, taking the file straight from the folder and moving it into the folder that the old file is in is not useful either.

I'm stuck on this one...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!