1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM will not operate have tried all the other things suggested

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fibrofilly, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fibrofilly

fibrofilly Thread Starter

Please I need help desperately. I think my problem started when I recieved a Windows update. Not sure but best I can remember. I run win 98/me. When it boots up it acknowledges the CD-ROM but it will not run. It always says insert cd. I have tried everything I can think of and all the suggestions you guys have had posted.This is a:
    M5-SIS530A/USD44X/Built-in Solo 1
    Built-in VGA/USRobotic 2975-81
    Windows 98 Bundled/MS Value Pack 99
    Processor:
    400megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
    64 kilobyte primary memory catch
    512 kilobyte secondary memory catch
    Drives:
    4.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    3.08 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI CDROM [CDROM DRIVE]

Generic IDE hard disk drive (4.30 GB)

CONTROLLERS:
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Primary IDE Controller (dual Fifo)
    Secondary IDE Controller Dual fifo)
    SIS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller

BUS Adapters

SIS 7001 PCI to USB OPEN HOST CONTROLLER (do not use)

Communications
    US Robotics Win INT [modem]

Main Circuit board
    Biostar Group M5SAA 1 .x
    BIOS:Award Software International, Inc. 4.51
    PG 02/24/99

Memory Modules
    280 megabytes insatlled memory

Local Drive Volumes
    c:(on drive 0) 4.30GB 3.08GB free

I have more info if needed but know this is alot!!
    This is the readout since the mess up I know this is alot but please I would appreciate any help at all..

fibrofilly

2. I_AM_SPARKY

I_AM_SPARKY

have you trried going to dos and used scanreg/restore?

i might have this typed wrong try checking othere threads but what this will do is put your hard drive bvack to the way it was before you got the update

3. fibrofilly

Not sure I'm sending this right...My first time here.. Do you mean from MSDOS?? or can you do it from DOS somehow?? I have from MSDOS but didn't do anything...Thanks

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

If you are running ME you can do a System Restore, although I am not sure where it is in ME but in XP it is under Accessories - Sytem Tools - System Restore, you can restore the system to the date before you received the update...

5. fibrofilly

I tried that but whatever happened would not even let me restore!! That was my only hope now it will not even let me reinstall windows or reformat my C drive saying that is my only operable drive..Don't know what to do..

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

What error are you getting when you try to do the restore ??

7. wedor

wedor

Seems a bit misleading, I don't believe ME is on the system, in the first post 98 is listed although there is a brief reference to me which could be a typo.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

HMMM...

I think that you are correct I missed the part about,

Windows 98 Bundled/MS Value Pack 99 ...

9. wedor

wedor

That's ok, I'm still trying to follow the part in the subject line about "having tried all the other things suggested" yet I can't find any other thread from this person that this refers to.

10. fibrofilly

Sorry everyone,,,The Windows Bundle /MS Value Pack 99 is the software that came with the computer. I have upgraded to ME. But whatever happened to it would not let me restore. When I said I have tried all the other things I meant all the things everyone else has been posting about. They seem to be having the same problem as I have. Mine started around 5/22 or aqround that time there was a windows update that came thru so I let it update and since that my CD-ROM has been misplaced. This was the first time I had posted sorry if I was so confusing. Thanks for any help this is driving me nuts. I have another computer but this is my favorite and I know it is probably something simple.:eek:

11. wedor

wedor

Does the CD show up in device manager?

12. fibrofilly

Yes it shows up and says it is working properly but it will not read the cd's. I can open and close the door but that is all.
    I have the Drivers and Utilities disk that came wiith the computer but it is on a cd and that doesn't help me any because I can't run it. At first it said the MSCDEX was missing so I tinkered around but still no answer..When I type this in it says the MSCDEX is running??

13. wedor

wedor

Have you tried deleting it from device manager, then rebooting and letting Windows "find" it?

14. fibrofilly

Yes,I tried that but it comes up with the same thing everytime. One time it put it in another letter drive (G) for some reason so I deleated it because it still didn't work and then it went back to D but it always says there is no cd in drive and will not attempt to read it. Really got me confused but that doesn't take much. I thought I was getting pretty smart on these things and then this happens..After the Windows update online it moved around some of my files and this was one..

15. wedor

wedor

The update timing could have been coincidental, the drive may just be dead, they can die that quickly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice