1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kc0bus, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kc0bus

kc0bus Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a 3 year-old PC with a CD-ROM drive that won't boot. In the CMOS/BIOS boot order utility, I have tried to set the boot order as everything possible, to no avail.
    When the PC first boots up, the floppy drive boots first, then the Hard-drive boots and nothing happens to the CD-ROM drive. Currently, the CMOS/BIOS boot sequence is set as follows: First boot- Floppy, Second boot- CD-ROM, Third boot- Hard-drive. It seems like the computer doesn't even recoginize there's a CD-ROM drive in the boot sequence at all, and just skips right over it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    KC0BUS

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Put the cdrom first in the bios setup.

Then, you need to be sure that the cd you are trying to boot to, is in fact, bootable.

3. kc0bus

kc0bus Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have already tried placing the CD-ROM first in the boot order and it still won't boot. How do I know if the CD-ROM drive I have is non-bootable?

Thanks

4. kc0bus

kc0bus Thread Starter

Sorry, I mis-read that last part....

Yes, the CD I have is bootable. It boots fine in my other 2 PC's.

Thanks

5. norton850

norton850

Does your drive read other CDs?

6. kc0bus

kc0bus Thread Starter

Yes, it does.

The CD-ROM is acting like it will boot certain discs and not others. I don't know why. It will boot and install my Red Hat Fedora and MandrakeLinux discs just fine. However, when I try to install Windows XP, it's a different story. XP setup will format my hard-drive as normal, then it will start to load the Windows XP setup files as normal, then, after it reboots the system, I get the following message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
    Boot from CD:
    Press any key to boot from CD...... Error loading operating system_

And that's where I'm at at this point.

I would like to install Windows XP on this machine, not Linux. Ironically, it seems to install Linux just fine, but it seems like it is balking at installing Windows for some reason....
    To add insult to inujury, I have six Windows XP discs (3 Home editions and 3 Pro editions- all copies of my orignal two because I wear out my originals (and eventually the copies as well) from re-installing Windows so much- (ask Mr. Gates about why! :-( ), and I get the same error message on them all. Both of my other PC's like these worn XP copies and originals just fine.

Scott

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The problem you describe in your last post does not indicate a problem with the CD-ROM drive or the boot capability of the Windows XP disk. You're receiving that message because you still have the bootable Windows XP CD in the drive. After the initial phase of the installation, the computer does not need to boot from the CD-ROM, however, because the disk is in the drive, the system is asking you if you want to boot from it. Since you don't, ignore this message.

The problem is with the message "Error loading operating system". This would indicate a problem with the hard drive, other hardware, or the Windows XP disk (the contents or integrity, not whether it's bootable).

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did this particular XP cd come as an OEM with another computer?

Also, on the reboot, you don't want to boot from the cd again, you want to boot from the hard drive and continue with Windows setup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice