1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM won't detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hornetsjet, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hornetsjet

hornetsjet Thread Starter

My cd-rom could not be detected by my pc, but it still can open and the scanner in the cd-rom can spin when i insert the disc.

There was no kind of d:/ (d drive) icon shown in "my computer".
    So i cound not used the disc. Is there any way should i go?

2. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon

Have you been altering your hardware in any way, or is it purely a software problem?

3. hornetsjet

hornetsjet Thread Starter

Yes, i've opened the cd-rom before. And i found there were many cables in the box, but every cable was already connected. It seem no problem, now, i have a question...

Is it need a driver to install the cd-rom again?
    i think the cd-rom is plug-n-play hardware.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you know how to access your bios setup to be sure the cdrom is still showing up there?

When the computer is restarting there is a key, most often the DEL key, to press to access the setup information....on Compaqs it's F 10, other computers F 1 or F 2.....if you can't access with one of the keys, post your make/model computer and someone can assist you further.

5. poggy

poggy

I think that the obvious thing to do is check the connections for the cd drive, you never know it may just a tiny bit loose.....(I hate it when people dont believe that I have connected something properly but it is worth checking just in case...)

However, having had this exact problem myself i found that re-installing windows (a monumental pain i know) solved my 'disappearing cd rom' problem. I also had a cheap standard drive which i was easily able to download generic drivers for (sorry i cant remember where from, it was over a year ago), these helped windows to detect my cd drive, but it only detected all the correct info (manufacturer etc) when i reinstalled windows.

Hope this helps...

6. nomad

nomad

Have you made sure that you have the red stripe on you ribbon cable to pin 1. Also make sure that you jumper for slave/master is in the right position.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice