1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-Rom wont open

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twismz44, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twismz44

twismz44 Thread Starter

Before my computer gets to the Win XP load screen I get an error that says "Boot Disk Error, Insert System Disk And Press Enter". I would do this but I cant open my CD-Rom drive. I dont get an error about the drive, it just wont open. It is connected properly and it has a power cable plugged into it but I don't know what to do.

2. Conrad747

Conrad747

insert a paper clip in the small hole in front of your cdrom. of course, you have to straighten the clip first, lol.

3. twismz44

twismz44 Thread Starter

I got the drive open but it is not receiveing any power. The light on the front never comes on. The power cable is connected but still no power. What do I do?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Strongly suggests that the power rail that feeds the CD-Drive has failed in the power supply unit.

Probably the same rail that feeds the hard drive as well, and that is why you are getting that message.

5. pronute

pronute

If you did lose your 12 volt rail you must confirm this fast because the 12 volt rail supplies power to the fans including the CPU fan, and PSU fan, open the case then power up if no fans are turning shut down the computer to stop any heat related damage to it, if the fans are turning, check the power leads going to the hard drive and CD drive and follow the wires back and see if it's connected to a splitter if so, check if the splitter is connected to the 12 volt Molex connecter. Only reconnect with the computer unpluged from the wall outlet because even with the computer shut down, voltage still passes threw some PSUs for wake events etc.

6. twismz44

twismz44 Thread Starter

The fan still runs. I have tried different plugins and they don't work.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice