CD-ROM won't read certain disks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BTMS_RIO

Hi,

I am running Windows 2000 Pro. My CD-Rom won't read certain disks. It will read the Windows 2000 OS disk from windows, but it won't read any burnt cd I try, and some other store bought disks. I tried replacing the CD-Drive and that made no difference.

Thanks,

I'm not sure that CD ROM Drives (non writable CD Drives) will read CD-R or CD-RW. But they should read commercial CD Roms. Not sure about commerical music CD's.

Writable drives should read CD-R and CD-RW since that is what is typically used to burn CD's.

i have Sonic DVD program on my computer and it does not enable me to read burned CDs and DVDs because of their DLA feature, check to see if you have a similar feature. Usually you can check the properties of your CD ROM and see what features are enabled/disabled. Hope this helps! Take care!

BTMS_RIO

nope, it wasn't a new CD-ROM, the same CD-ROM however worked on another computer moments ago. The computer has never been connected to the internet. No DVD programs are installed.

Any ideas?

CDrom drives will read any cdr or cdrw (note for cdrw's though, if the drive is prewin98, it might not). Check your IDE cables. You may need a new one. Bad cables can cause read errors, or no read at all, problems.

Bryan

Bryan
I do know some older CD Rom drives won't read burnt CDs. The second drive you tried, had it read the same burnt CDs on the other PC but won't read them on the PC you put it into?

What happens when it tries to read the CDs, does it error or just do nothing?

do know some older CD Rom drives won't read burnt CDs.
Sorry, but I've must have never seen one of those. I've worked on computer models from Acer's, and IBM pre-1998 era, and only found they won't read cdrw's. I carry a tools disk with me, burnt with Nero.

Did you check your cables, that they are 40-pin/80wire? Or that they are good?

BTMS_RIO

nope, i didn't check the cables. They look physically fine. I figured that if the CD-ROM is detected then it should read/write fine. This isn't that old of a CD-Rom. It is also a CD-R/CD-RW.

Have you updated your CD-RW drivers? Based on what I'm reading, you replaced your old CD ROM with a CD-RW that works on another computer

Hardware usually comes with an installation cd with drivers. If not, then you need to go online to the mfgrs web site to get the drivers.

CDrw's don't come with drivers, Windows supplies those. But even if the cables look fine, and they aren't you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at them. The cables are used to transmit data, and if they are bad, they can cause the problems you are having.

I replaced the cables, no luck. I tried 3 different CD-Roms and they are all having the same problem. I am running Windows 2000

Thanks,
Rio

Then your problem could be more serious than a bad cable or bad burned cd. Is the computer seeing the cdrom drives? Are they showing up when booting the computer. The reason for asking this last question is, it could be your IDE controller is bad. But if the computer is reading the drive, that's not the problem and it's probably something I listed below.

One other thing to try first: When the cd was burned, did you finalize/verify the contents? Were they burned using any packet writing software, such as DirectCD or InCD?

Just a note here as far as cdrom drives reading disks, music or software, they will read any cdr disks. Otherwise, software wouldn't come on CDs, they'd come on floppies. :D

When you say it won't read other cd's, do you mean music CD's?

Have you checked to make sure that you have enabled digtal CD audio for this CD drive? Also, have you checked your volume controls for this device?

Please note:, I'm on Windows XP and I'm using my setup as a model.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts