1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD ROM Won't Stay Closed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ginnis12, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ginnis12

Ginnis12 Thread Starter

I recently obtained a virus and had to reinstall my OS. I'm trying to put back my important files and such. Well, ever since my CD ROM/DVD drive won't stay closed, even when I put a CD in it to read. Luckily my CDR/WR drive works just fine. I reinstalled the drivers from a CD that came with my computer otherwise I don't have a CD just for that drive. Any suggestions? Before I deleted and repartitioned my hard drive the CD ROM drive was fine.

2. rogers55

rogers55

Ginnis,

The most common cause of CD drive opening by itself is a bad or incorrectly connected data cable.
    Try reconnecting the cable and make sure it is not installed backwards.

Regards,
    Roger

3. Ginnis12

Ginnis12 Thread Starter

I never unplugged the data cable to the drive. In fact I never took the casing off the tower...so it has to be software related.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Will it stay closed if you boot to only a dos prompt and try opening and closing?

5. Ginnis12

Ginnis12 Thread Starter

It stayed closed yesterday when I reinstalled everything, but I made a mistake...I forgot to unplug my wireless USB Network adapter and I couldn't get that to work. I called my ISP and they said I had to gut my OS and unplug the USB device and start over again. Since then when I hit the close button on the drive it will close for a second, then come back open and stays open. I'm upgrading my OS to 98 SE right now, so I will check to see if it will stay closed in DOS in a sec.

6. Ginnis12

Ginnis12 Thread Starter

No, the drive still won't stay closed even in DOS mode.

7. ~Candy~

Then it's definitely hardware related. Time for a cleaning perhaps, or check the interior connections, etc. They can shift.

8. Ginnis12

Ginnis12 Thread Starter

Any suggestions for cleaning? I have never cleaned a CD ROM drive before. Also, do you know of anywhere I can get a Windows 98 SE upgrade? Appearently, I can't upgrade from my 98 to 98 SE with the 98 SE software disk.

9. ~Candy~

There are cd cleaning kits made for them.

The 98SE software will tell you that you have an operating system, unless you start with a clean formatted hard drive. You will need to rename win.com to win.old in order to do otherwise.

I am assuming the 98SE is a FULL installation, correct?

10. Ginnis12

Ginnis12 Thread Starter

Candy, you are correct. The Windows 98 SE is the full installation disc. So how do I go and change the win.com to win.old? The only reason I installed the original 98 OS because I was having glitches with programs from Gateway. I figured it was best to install that then upgrade the OS to get everything to work correctly.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/188321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice