1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-Rom won't update without restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DarExc, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarExc

DarExc Thread Starter

Hello, I'm having trouble solving this issue with my CDrom drive. I'm running WinXP and have a A7S with a 1800+ in it. I have a DVD drive and a CD burner and they both have the same trouble and every drive I put in it has the problem as well.

The problem is that when I start my computer with say No Cd's in either drive and put a CD in the drive it doesn't show the CD has been put in the drive or do autorun (I have to right click the icon and select open to see the contents on the CD). Same thing if I start it with a CD it will show the CD I started it with as the CD in the drive (or DVD) and when I take it out and put another one in the old icon and name stay and if I double click it'll ask for the autorun file of the origianl CD so I must right click and open.

I have had this problem for about a year and drivers and/or new CD/DVD drives have done nothing. I have asked many people and no one has a clue, any ideas would be great!

----------------
    Jer

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

This can happen if you remove certain CD Burning software. If after you remove CD Burning software, you can no longer access your CD ROM's,
    the following registry keys need to be deleted:

Locate and delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

There is a reg file you can download to do this automatically at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/cd_restore.reg

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#access_cd

3. DarExc

DarExc Thread Starter

It didn't work =(

4. DarExc

DarExc Thread Starter

I failed to mention this before, I reinstalled windows XP this past summer and the problem was still there after a fresh install. It had however gone away for a month in the past install before I formated all on its own, very strange indeed.

5. DarExc

DarExc Thread Starter

Anyone got any ideas?

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

7. DarExc

DarExc Thread Starter

Haha! It worked! Thanks a lot!, you don't know how many things Iv tried with no luck, thank you very much! It was a combination of everything on that site, thank you again!

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

[tsg=yourewelcome][/tsg]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice