1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM won't work.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GrahamShade, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrahamShade

GrahamShade Thread Starter

Working on trying to fix a friends laptop, and what originally seemed like a basic driver problem is a whole lot bigger now.

Recently he hard drive on his Gateway 8510GZ Laptop died, and he went out and purchased a new hard drive versus completely buying a new PC.

However, after re-installing Windows XP, he found that his CD-ROM wouldn't work, and I assumed it was a minor driver problem. However, when I checked out his computer for myself, I found that the CD-ROM doesn't even show up in his System Information / Device Manager.

Not to mention the fact that Gateway Updater refused to properly install (always displays an error, then closes), and there are no CD-ROM drivers for his laptop on the website, I'm officially stuck.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated. :D

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

No divers are needed or should be installed for CD-ROM's and XP. The device can't be installed until it is first detected. So start by checking BIOS setup to se if it appears there.

3. GrahamShade

Nope.

{ST9160821A being his hard drive}.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If IDE 0 Slave is where it is supposed to be, then either the CD-ROM, cable, or jumpers are defective.

Check the cable and pins, make sure the jumpers are correct on both drives (some masters have a different configuration if a slave is present), or try the CD-ROM on the secondary channel to see if it is working or detected. Try to narrow down the possibilities. Try another CD-ROM if you have one.

5. GrahamShade

Ah, okay.
    Thanks for the suggestion/help.
    :D

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will probably work fine once it is seen in BIOS. But if the cable and jumpers are OK(if you haven't changed them, and one didn't fall off), then the drive itself may be gone. They are pretty cheap, and you may even want to replace it with a CD/DVD burner.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice