1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dtoy93, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dtoy93

dtoy93 Thread Starter

I had to reformat my hard drive. I reinstalled win98 from cd rom but now my sys doesn't recognize the cd rom as hardware and I can't load any more programs.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you check in Device Manager to see if it's recognized at all? Do you see the drive enumerated when you boot by the BIOS init? Did you boot with a startup floppy with CD support and see if you can access the CD?

If you have an AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or CONFIG.SYS file, you could start by rename them and rebooting. Sometimes, the real mode drivers screw up access to the drive.

In short, what have you done to try to isolate the problem?

3. n2gun

n2gun

Does your cd drive appear on the first screen when you boot up?

If not check your bios to make sure it is enabled.

If it does check in control panel>system>device manager for the cd drive. Are there any yellow ? or ! appearing in the cd drive?

Also I would do what Johnwill suggested and change the .bat or bak for the autoexec and .sys to .bak for config.sys.

4. dtoy93

dtoy93 Thread Starter

I have checked through setup which I never changed the setting for the cdrom. I used the cdrom to load win98 again. I don't remeber a screen asking about hardware now that I think about it. I am an amature but I understand some things. When it comes to editing anything I don't know what I am doing so I try to not do the things I don't know. I don't have a 3.5 to go off of. Not sure where I can next. If anyone has specific help, please give me step by step instructions. I have a pent 2, 144 ram 4gig hardrive that is partioned as c drive and d drive. The sys does recognize the d drive and a drive.

5. dtoy93

dtoy93 Thread Starter

These responses are to the 1st reply to my problem....thanks for all your help though.

1. Device mgr - cd rom does show in the box and with a + sign but nothing else

2. Don't know the answer to the 2nd question in the first reply but I did make sure the cd rom was enabled and I never changed it from before.

3. no floppy to boot with

4. Don't know how to isolate the problem.

5. NO - doesn't appear

6. No - yellow or !

6. n2gun

n2gun

below is a link to get a boot disk. You want a windows 98 or 98se disk.

Download to your hard drive. After it is downloaded, put a blank floppy in and open the download. Follow the istructions.

When you boot with it, choose with cd support. (I believe it is the first option) See if the drive works with the boot disk. If you get the OEM version your cd drive letter will change to the next letter up. (IE d: becomes e:).

http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm

7. dtoy93

dtoy93 Thread Starter

Thanks for your time...I spent Sat nite going thru everything and then I went back thru setup and then boot from cd rom and then found a 2nd page that told me what to do if the sys wasnt reading my cd rom....now everything is perfect, I am up on my cd rom and printers but I still have a problem when the sys is starting up that my screen goes haywire while booting up but every thing else is a ok. not sure what to do. it never did it before. but thanks for your input. it is greatly appreciated.

Doug

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice