1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd-rw and dvd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ram085, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ram085

Ram085 Thread Starter

I have just put together my first diy pc. Everything was going fine, I was using a cd-rom drive ok. I puller the cd-rom and and installed a cd-rw and a dvd that I had removed from my old Dell.
    Windows will not recogonize either drive. If I boot with the startup floppy, I can get to both drives and can display a directory for each. I have two hard drives on the primary IDE channel, the dvd is master on the secondary channel and the cd-rom is slave. That is the way that they were configured on the dell. Hope that someone can bail me out. Thanks for reading my post.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you'd post the O/S you're using, and what indications you see in Device Manager, we might be able to help. There are some registry entries that get corrupted associated with Code 19 or 31 errors on CD drives, for instance.

3. n2gun

n2gun

Welcome to TSG

Watch the first screen when booting. You should be able to see the drives listed if configured properly. If not check out the things below.

Double check your bios and make sure the secondary ide channel is set to Auto Detect. Also recheck your cable to make sure it is pin #1 to Pin #1. Pin #1 on your drives is closest to the power connection. Check your manual for the motherboard to nake sure there.

4. Ram085

Ram085 Thread Starter

Jerry, Thanks for your reply. I was able to get to both the cd and the dvd thru dos and bios had them ok. I ran setup and reloaded win98 and that fixed the problem. Thanks again.

5. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

Most Burners require that they be setup as the Master on the Secondary IDE cable for them to work!

Richardhtml

6. Ram085

Ram085 Thread Starter

Richard, thanks for the reply. My dvd is master and cd is slave. This is the way dell set it up. Anyway, reloading win98 fixed the problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice