1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-RW Audio Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidgraham16, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

I have just bought a Freecom Internal CD-RW. The manual says to connect the audio cable to the sound card. I haven't looked yet, but I anticipate that the DVD audio connector will be connected to the sound card. Do I disconnect the DVD sound cable? and put the CD-RW in its place. I have never opened a PC before so forgive any obvious ignorance please. The manual also says to make sure the connections are oriented so that L corresponds to L and R to R but I can't see any little L's or R's on the jacks on the ends of the audio cable that has come with the CD-RW and it isn't clear which end goes into the CD-RW and which end goes into the sound card!

2. deanas

deanas

I believe you have to choose which you
    want to hookup to the sound card.
    Either the dvd or the cdrw. Which one are
    you going to be playing cd's, movies etc..?

3. ozeepat

ozeepat

You should look at the board. The newer boards have an extra(auxillary) connection.

4. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.
    My mother board is an ATXBX7 Pentium 2 if that helps. I shall look at the motherboard manual to see if an auxillary socket is present. I think your suggesting that I plug my CD-RW into the motherboard auxillary socket (if there is one!)and leave the audio connection from the DVD in situ in the sound card. I expect that will leave the DVD and the CD-RW with the ability to produce sound - or am I barking up the wrong tree.

5. brianF

brianF

Doubtfull you will be able to use a motherboard connector if you have a sound card installed. Your using sound from the sound card so the drive would have to plug into a aux in on the sound card if it has one, most do

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice