1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-RW device not writing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C-Smoove, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

Hello, I am running windows XP Home Edition, 256 SDRAM, 1.6GHz with a 40G HHD as a master on one belt and a DVD burner and a CD-Rewriter(52x) on the other belt with the DVD burner as the MAster and Cd-Rewriter as the slave.

The problem I am having is that using my Nero program, the cd-rw is showing that it is being detected and is working properly from the device manager tab. When i go and try to burn a cd it ask me to put in a blank disc but when i put it in the screen just sits there waitin for me to put in a disc but its already in there. Then when i hit cancel (thats the only choice besides the eject tab) it tells me "abort by user".

I don't know why it is doing that. Can someone please help me out and try to resolve this issue. Are the drives set Ok or not?

Please Help

Carlton :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go the Admin Tools in Control Panel and click Services. Scroll down to IMAPI and double-click it. Be sure it is set to Manual, Apply.

See if the burner works with XP's burner. Right-click a file to test, Send To your burner.

Then, open My Computer, click on your burner drive, go to File, and burn the test file with the Wizard. If it works that way, you may need to reinstall Nero.

Are you running Nero from an account with Admin privileges?

3. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

Yes, I'm the only one that uses this computer in my house, i'm goin to try that and see if it works, Thank you

4. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

The Admin Tools in Control Panel is located where? I can't find it. Is it under tools?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm not all that familiar with Home, but I thought that there was an applet in Home's Control Panel for "Administrative Tools". Nothing like that?

6. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

In My Contol Panel I just have the regular categories like change theme , security, etc
    No administrative tools, I know i set my account to administrator level when i installed windows XP

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe you have the original setup for Control Panel and I'm thinking of the "calssic". Try the option in the left pane for the "classic" Control Panel to see all the CP applets.

8. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

Yes, I found it, it was set on Manual but i notices that the status was stoped. I read the description box and it stated that if it is stoped that it will not record anything for all devices so I selected the Manual and hit the start key. It did a little downlaod of something and now the status says start. So I'm gonna try to record somthing to see if it works

Thanks, I'll let you know if it worked

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Another idea too, be sure you have downloaded any updates, patches, etc. for Nero.

10. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

It's me again, I tried it and its not working. I tried doing it through the wizard and Nero and when it ask me to put in a blank cd I put one in but it is not detecting it, the drive spins but it want register to show that the disk is ready to bur. Why won't it detect? Should I reinstall Nero?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

If XP doesn't see the blank either, then it is most probably a hardware problem with the drive itself, drivers, or connections.

Open My Computer and right-click the drive. Click Properties. Is there a Recording tab and is the Enable box checked?

Be sure that both autorun and autoplay are enabled using these:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autorunenable.reg
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/AutoFix.exe

Does the drive detect other CD's OK? Try cleaning the lens with a CD that has a cleaning brush, or a Q-Tip with alcohol if you can see it.

12. LINKUP20GS

LINKUP20GS

I want to ask if your burner worked up until the time you installed nero? And I would also like to ask what type of device you have installed.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you actually try skipping Nero and trying XP's burner? That would be very useful information if XP's burner works but Nero doesn't.

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

C-Smoove, did you ever figure this out?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice