1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD RW Disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cfrankfeldt, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cfrankfeldt

cfrankfeldt Thread Starter

I thought the idea of RW was you could write some files today and some more tomorrow. It is not allowing me to add file.

In that case, how is it different from CD-R?

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

If the disk is "finalized", no further writing is allowed.

3. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

the whole poing of a rw is so you can write files to it, then erase those files then put different files on. what you are doing, is creating a multisession disc, or thats what you want to do. if you use nero make sure finalize disc is NOT checked

4. finwood

finwood

In order to use a CDRW (adding and erasing )or a CDR (adding only) as a floppy you must format the disc and then use a DLA program (Direct Letter Access). In Nero, it is My CD,
    I use hp dla by veritas.

5. cfrankfeldt

I remember the finalizing bit from the early days. How could I not finalize it when I first write on it (or later)? What then is the difference from a CD-R?

Is there something about replacing a file with one of the same name?

Thanks a lot

6. Dave_Snow

Dave_Snow

CD R's are write once, toss if not needed. :)

7. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

cfrankfeldt, please do me a favor and change your expirience level setting back to atleast intermediate. Anyway, what program are you using to burn your discs? As Dave_Snow said, CD-R is write once. You can add files, but not erase. You can add and erase with CD-RW though. Of course, this is all assuming you do not finalize the disc. We need to know what program you are using to burn these files!
    later

8. johnni

johnni

Finwood - the Nero Packet Writing program is called InCD (for formatting CD-RWs only). If that is what cfrankfeldt may want to do see my post in this link http://forums.techguy.org/t383270.html.

Johnni

9. finwood

finwood

I knew it was called something like that. And now that you mention it, (formatting CD-RWs only) is why I use hp dla by veritas. With it, I can format CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, CDRWs, and DVD-RWs. I use the CD-Rs for back up of files that do not change...like taxes, etc., and the RWs for back up of my web site, money file, etc.

10. cfrankfeldt

What I did was very simple. I put in the blank disk, and opened it as a folder in Windows XP. I then dragged some files to it. I got the message, "Write these files to CD?" and clicked yes. It wrote them. I didn't see a box to check about finalizing the disk. Next time, I put it in again and tried to add some ffiles using the same process. I got an error message to the effect that the files on the disk are read-only. It did not allow me to add more files.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did some of these files have the same name? I believe that the XP burner uses multisession by default so you should be able to add more files later until the disk is full. But since the files on the disk can't be replaced, you can't use the same name for new files to be burned.

Also, try right-clicking the files and using "Send To..." to prepare them for burning.

12. cfrankfeldt

No, I just tried to add one dinky file with a different name. By the way, I thought you could replace files with files having hte same name.

Are you supposed to be able to just plain erase a file from an RW?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, you can't erase a single file. You erase the whole CD at once. Replacing a file with one of the same name can be done on UDF formatted CD-RW's, and "erasing" a file from such a drive is a matter of replacing a file with one of the same name with 0 bytes. But the file is not truly erased and the space is not regained for use again.

The options available for the usual ISO multisession disk and the UDF-formatted disk made by DirectCD, InCD, or DLA are quite a bit different. You might try both to see which you prefer.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Given the price of CD's these days, sometimes getting them for free with the rebates, it may not be worth all the hassle or potential problems. Just burn a new CD.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Rather than being condescendingly dismissive, here are some links that address your concerns and explain the different file systems, perhaps in more detail than needed:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/allcam/cdformat.html
    http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster/help/hs160.htm

But the best way for you to understand thew capabilities of your particualr burner and method is to read the Help file that accompanied it, or check online with the manufacturer for FAQ's and more information.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!