1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd-rw Does Not Install Properly!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidgraham16, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

Earlier today I put a Freecom Internal CD-RW 16x 10x 40x into my PC. The spec for my PC is:
    OS WIN 98 first edition, RAM=128MB,HD=13GB,Pentium2 400MZ
    Easy CD Creator 5.1 CD(And a driver update floppy which I have installed)
    I have not had any joy from it yet. During installation the following message appeared:

"The installation software did not find at least one supported drive in this computer system. Do you wish to continue the installation."

I clicked "Yes" because the drive appears to have been detected by the BIOS during start up and the drive is in the My Computer window as drive E: The CD-RW is on the secondary IDE channel as slave to the DVD which is Master on this channel.
    There is no yellow exclamation mark next to the device in device manager. There is something that is odd - the CD-RW is listed under CD-ROM as -NEC NR-7800B (no mention of Freecom) and in the properties I see the device type is CDROM and against manufacturer it says "Standard CD-ROM Device" - its like windows doesn't know its a CD-RW.
    When I try to copy a WIN 98 CD to the drive I get the following messages:
    "Creator API
    Easy CD Creator Engine initialisation has failed"

followed by this box

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error
    Program.... S\ADAPTEC\EASY CD CREATOR 5\EASY CD CREATOR\CD COPIER.EXE
    abnormal program termination
    OK
    I have tried again and the following messages appear:
    "Exception in CreateInstanc of Creator
    OK
    followed by this message:
    Creatr 50
    Thia program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact program vendor.
    Really need help please!

2. brianF

brianF

I would try

1. Use add remove programs to remove easy cd
    2. Remove the device from device manager
    3. Shutdown, rejumper the drives opposite of what they are not, some drives need to be master or slave.
    4. Reboot, windows should find the drive and install it, you shouldn't need any other drivers except what windows installs.
    Check device manager, is it recognizing the drive now. Can you put a cd in it and explorer, copy a file from the drive to your desktop.

If it works try installing your burning software again, use control alt delete to end task on everything running in the background before installing the software, leave systray and explorer running.

3. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

I will try out your suggestions tomorrow - sleep beckons now. Bit hacked off with the dam think. Let you know if I have any success tomorrow.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice