1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-RW doesnt Read any CDs!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siriq, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Siriq

Siriq Thread Starter

I have a Gateway pentium 3 975, 256 mb of ram with windows XP home. I have a sony CD-RW CRX215A1 48X24X48, and it doesnt read any cds. It worked for a month then just stoped. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling the drivers. and it just wont read anything.

2. slipe

slipe

Hi – welcome to TSG

”I have tried unistalling and reinstalling the drivers. and it just wont read anything.”

Internal IDE burners don’t have drivers. The best you can do is remove the burner in device manager and reboot. Windows will reload it.

Try the XP update from Sony: http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/crx215a1dwn.htm you might also click on the XP quick solutions link and see what is there.

Also run the ASPI fix at the same link.

3. Siriq

Siriq Thread Starter

i installed all the updates and it still wont work

4. slipe

slipe

5. n2gun

n2gun

Does the drive show on the first screen during boot? Is it showing in "My Computer"?

6. Siriq

Siriq Thread Starter

it does show up and says that it is working fine

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you read a cd from dos?

Does XP have that boot option? Not sure........

8. n2gun

n2gun

If you put a blank floppy disk in and go to My Computer, right click on a: drive. You will see the format option. Click format and you will see the option to create a msdos disk. Click it and make a boot disk. Reboot with the disk in, (make sure the bios is set to look to a: first in bootup.) Type dir d: or what the drive letter is and hit enter. It may move the drive put one letter like d: to e: if it loads ramdisk. See if it reads the cd from there.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice