1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-RW drive appears as CD-ROM drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mizzing, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzing

Mizzing Thread Starter

Hi

I am the tech support guy for my company. I have a user who has a Dell Precision M65 with a CD-RW+- drive. For some reason this past week. Windows decided that it would only recognize the drive as a CD-ROM drive.

What I mean by that is that when you open "My Computer" the drive is listed as a CD-ROM drive not a CD-RW drive, therefore windows and other external programs (Roxio and Nero) treat it as a CD-ROM.

I have check the Device Manager and it has the correct driver (and is listed as CD-RW+- driver). I have tried the most up to date drive from both the vendor and drive manufacturer. I have even tried older drivers.

I have tried removing the Upper and Lower filters registry keys in the registry like I have found on a few other sites but to no resolution.

I have tried other known working drives in the computer with the same result. I have tried this user’s drive in other laptops and it works fine.

Any ideas would be a help.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Try replacing the cable or reseating the cable on the motherboard. You've already done that with the drive end since you removed it and put it back. I assume without looking at the dell specs it's a standard cable.

3. Mizzing

Mizzing Thread Starter

This is a laptop computer so there is no calbe.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice