1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-RW drive doesn't read or load Disc. Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j_r_p_25, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j_r_p_25

j_r_p_25 Thread Starter

Hi,

I painted my girlfriends grandma's house, and in return she gave me her old computer.
    The computers operating system is Windows ME. Anyway, she had told me that the orginal cd-rw drive that came with the computer had failed, and she had a tech replace it with a new one.

Well, I've had the computer for nearly a year now, and now the new cd-rw drive doesn't read the disc. The light flashes, and I can hear the disc spinning, but nothing else happens. I get a:
    '"Please insert disc into drive D:" response when clicking on drive D.

Recently, I had to re-install Windows due to a techinical issue, and afterwards is when I noticed this problem.

I though that the cd-rw was missing a driver and I needed to download and install it so the cd-rw would function properly. So I pulled the driver out and got the following info:
    CD-ACER45
    CDRW 52x24x52 OEM
    Model Number: 52X24X52 CD-RW
    P/N: 91.3ED37.025
    S/N: 30306900JE E2

I did a search online I couldn't find any drivers for this specific model. I don't know for sure if this is in fact the problem because I'm not a tech, but usaully am able to fix quite a few things.

Anyways, I'm totally lost. Does anybody know what the problem is? Can anybody offer any knowledge about it?? Is the drive broken crap? (I know Acer isn't good)

Also, the reason that I need my cd drive at this very moment is that I just signed up for DSL
    and have no way of installing the DSL software that is provided with the modem!!

2. gurutech

gurutech

You don't want to install the DSL software from the CD anyway. Call the ISP and tell them you want to manually configure the DSL modem through your browser. (You'll be much happier this way, and have less problems down the road.)

3. j_r_p_25

j_r_p_25 Thread Starter

Okay. Thanks. I'll try this right now.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

While you may or may not need to install the software, you do need to get your CD drive working again. Does it read any CD's? For example your XP CD?

5. j_r_p_25

j_r_p_25 Thread Starter

Unfornately, my system is currently plagued with Windows ME - so I don't have XP.
    I hope to have XP here in the near future.

I've tried music cd's and game software, but haven't tried windows ME.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That was only an example. Does it read any CD's?

If not it may simply be a defective drive.

7. j_r_p_25

j_r_p_25 Thread Starter

No. Nothing.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you double checked the cables going to it.

Again it may simply be a defective drive

9. j_r_p_25

j_r_p_25 Thread Starter

The drive worked for nearly a year until I re-installed windows. I know the Drive was labeled 'E' and know it is default 'D' from the change. D was the orginal drive that died. E was the new.

Maybe windows couldn't identify it or something? I don't have a clue.

10. j_r_p_25

j_r_p_25 Thread Starter

Yeah. I checked the cables.

11. BaRgE

BaRgE

your cd-rw is already busted...get a new one...it's cheap...

12. j_r_p_25

j_r_p_25 Thread Starter

Okay.

Can anyone recommend any quality affordable drives? And maybe anywhere online to buy them?

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As a final check to eliminate ME as being part of the problem, you can try booting with a DOS disk that provides CD ROM support.

As far as just having used the CD and now if doesn't work, that's often the case when things fail. One time they work and the next time they don't.

14. j_r_p_25

j_r_p_25 Thread Starter

I like that suggestion about the Boot Disk, but I don't think I have one.

I've never installed a new drive before. If I get a new one, and remove the old, will my computer instantly read the new drive? Is it complicated?

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you want to replace the CD ROM drive, it is not that difficult. It is also not uncommon for hardware places to install it for free if you purchase from them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/506476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice