cd-rw drive ist kaput!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

faldekan

Hi All,

Help!?

My CD-RW drive has just decided to start playing games with me. Although I am unaware of changing any settings, I suddenly cannot view files on any CD through windows Explorer. Added to this my PC now does not autoplay CD's, even though the settings are set to autoplay. This basically means that my CD drive is out of action, so I can't even re-install windows XP from CD!

I CAN however view files on a CD using the File>Open option in other programs, such as Microsoft Word etc. so the drive itself is readable in a limited way...

I have the latest Avast virus checker, so am hopefully clean!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, I'm guessing this actually has nothing to do with the CD hardware, but rather something corrupted in your Windows installation.

If it is a software issue, you could boot from the cdrom and fix windows. The bios is unaffected by software issues.

I have heard of a bios virus, but I have never known anyone that actually had one.

faldekan

Thanks peeps,

That gives me lots to try, here's hoping something works!!

Watch this space ;-)

Tom

(Happy new year btw!)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online