1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-RW drive not found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Charliebaby, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charliebaby

Charliebaby Thread Starter

Hello all -- I have an odd problem with the CD-RW drive on my PC not being recognized. This happens every time I reboot, and the only workaround I've found is to keep rebooting until it gets recognized, usually after 5 or 6 reboots. I'm using a Dell Dimension 9100 desktop with Windows XP. The drive is a Philips DVD+RW model DVD8631, designated as the E: drive. I have a Sony CD-ROM as my D: drive and an Iomega ZIP drive as my F: drive. There has never been a problem with the CD-ROM or ZIP drive. After the system finally recognizes the CD-RW drive, it works just fine -- but I'm sorta tired of all this rebooting. When I go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information when the system is not recognizing the CD-RW drive, I see only the CD-ROM listed; but when I go there after the system recognizes the CD-RW drive, it is listed correctly as the E: drive. I checked the Dell website for downloads, and there was one for my Philips CD-RW drive, but is was a firmware upgrade that was older than the one already installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Carey934

Carey934

My guess is the CDRW drive or your systems power supply is dying and needs replaced.

Time will tell.

3. d-mod3

d-mod3

Try going into device manager and see if there is a yellow or red symbol next to the CDRW drive. Make sure all cables to the drive and mother board are clean and tight. Disconnect and reconnect them. In device manager click on your CDRW drive and delete it.Reboot windows and it will reload the drive . Maybe this will help , had same kind of problem with my pc not recognizing my hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice