1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd-rw drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aldot, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldot

aldot Thread Starter

This is Al
    I purchased a cd-rw drive, the problem is when I go to copy a audio disc onto a cd-rw disc its ok, but when I copy to a cd-r disc it starts to copy then stops and gives a buffer error , I,ve tried different disc's but th e same thing happens.

Did I connect the cd-rw right by using the same ribbon cable for both the cd-rom and cd-rw and then setting the cd-rw as slave?

2. brianF

brianF

It's connected properly. It would appear the problem is that the cdrw burns slower so the bus can keep up, burning the cdr disk to disk is a faster burn and the bus can't keep up as both devices are on the same bus.

1. If you plan on burning lots of disc to disc, move the cdrom to the primary with the hard drive. that way the cdrom and the cdrw won't be competing for the same bus, they will be on seperate ones.

2. If speed isn't an issue burn with the disk image option, this makes an image of the burn on the hard drive then burns from the hard drive to the burner.

3. Go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/cdrom tab, expand it, select the burner, if dma is checked, uncheck it and try it.

3. BEL6772

BEL6772

Most CD-RWs like to be master of the IDE channel. Either move your existing CD-ROM to the primary IDE channel as a slave (and set the CD-RW as master) or change the jumpers on your CD drives so the CD-RW is master and the CD-ROM is slave.

Brian

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice