1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-RW (E:\ is not accesible?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidgraham16, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

Software Title : NTI CD-Maker 2000 Pro Edition for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000
    Version Number : 5.0
    Place of Purchase : Order Directly from NewTech Infosystems (NTI) Website
    Operating System : Windows 98
    Size of RAM : 128 (MB)
    Processor Speed : 400 (MHz)
    Size of Hard Drive : 13 (GB)
    CD-Writer Manufacturing : Kodak
    CD-Writer Model : Freecom Internal CD-RW 16x10x40x

Detailed Problem : I am trying to produce a data CD of a Win 98 CD. The disc media is Kodac CD-R Ultima 80. The actual process is quick and simple and I am congratulated at the end on a successful copy. But, when I try to read the files on the copy a message pops up saying:
    "D:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready" this occurs when I try to read using my Samsung DVD-ROM SDR-40. If I try to read the copied files in the CD-RW the message changes to:
    "E:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready"
    Both drives will read ordinary pre-recorded CD's i.e not burned by me.
    I have only tried to burn 2 CD'S, never had any success - help please!

2. slipe

slipe

Are you using the copy utility of NTI? There is no copy protection on a Win98 CD that I know of. I have backed them up with a regular copy utility with no problem. I even backed one up once using EZCD, and if EZCD will copy it anything will.

Kodak Gold is excellent media and I would think it would work fine with a Kodak burner. You could try some different media to make sure you didn’t get a bad batch, but I doubt that is the problem.

If you were copying from the CD-ROM, try the burner as both the reader and recorder. I take it the original Win98 CD works OK. You might try backing up some stuff from your hard drive or copying an audio CD just to make sure there isn’t an issue particular to that Win98 CD. If you have problems backing up files from the HD so they can be read I would call Kodak tech support for a possible return.

3. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

The problem does not seem to be con fined to copying Win 98, I get the same thing when I try to copy Office2000.
    "Are you using the copy utility of NTI?" - not familiar with the burner software. I am using the standard way to copy CD's via the NTI interface. Could you explain the term "copy utility of NTI"
    I have been copying the CD's to the hard drive and then copying them to the CD-RW as I was told that is the quickest way to do it.

4. slipe

slipe

I’ve never used that software. If you chose “copy” and it gave you a choice of copying from your DVD directly or from your burner, then you are using the copy utility. Are you using the Kodak or Samsung as the reader? You can use either for a copy via the HD – try it with the other one.

Have you tried to copy an audio CD? Data from the HD?

If the burner came with a RW blank I would use that until you get sorted out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice