1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-RW Help, REALLY Messed up!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goldfingerfan00, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Goldfingerfan00

Goldfingerfan00 Thread Starter

Here is a copy of my email that I got back from my SCSI controller company concerning my CD-RW problems~
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 11:18 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Problem with CD-RW

About a year ago I bought a CD-RW for my computer because I thought it would be a good way to make my own CD's, back up files, etc.
    I installed the hardware and software (after some trying) just fine.
    Then my computer got messed up (non-related to my CD-RW as far as I know) and it would have trouble running .exe files.
    Anyways I formatted and everything worked great, and my computer was running just fine. Then, I bought myself a big pack of blank CD's, slide some Mp3s over and hit create CD.
    Then a screen popped up which, to summarize, says it either can not detect or does not recognize my CD-RW. I thought that was funny and tried again, but the same message poped up.
    Then I went to "my computer" and realized that although my Zip drive, CD-Rom Drive, and Floppy disc
    drive were all detected the CD-RW was not.
    Then I got out my floppy disc which I thought I contained the driver for my CD-RW. I went to add hardware, and the only thing that showed that wasn't working was "Massive Storage Controller"and "Multimedia Device" I clicked "Massive Storage Controller" and, reinstalled the driver off the floppy disc (Ultra66.cat). And restarted my computer and a black screen popped up that said "Windows Protection Error you must restart your computer" I did and the same window popped up.
    I had to reformat and now I'm back at square one, the CD-RW doesnt work.
    I also downloaded something off of dell.com which was called a controller card and installed it (it required a floppy disc to write over) and the SAME thing happened.
    I'm not sure at all what to do or where to go next.
    I am running:
    Windows 98
    Dimension XPS T450
    I have Easy Creator 4
    Thanks for any and ALL help!
    P.S.
    When I start my computer a screen pops up that says Drive 2 CD-RW LG Detected
    Ultra100Bios not installed
    (This screen popped up even before when it did work)
    Thanks again for any help!
    ----Reply----
    Hi Anthony
    I will need you to flash the ultra66 with this latest bios and also used this driver. I believe the ultra66 has an out dated firmware and drivers.

Reseller Technical Support.
    Promise Technology, Inc
    1745 McCandless Dr.
    Milpitas Ca, 95035
    I did what I was told but the same thing popped up. Luckly I disabled the driver in safemode and I dont have to reformat but I still need help. If anyone can help I would apperciate it, these guys take a really long time to get back to you (Like 2 weeks)
    Anyways, if you need to find things out about my system before helping me ask and I will do my best to find the info for you.
    Thanks again!

2. rugrat

rugrat

First question, does the bios recognize the drive on boot up? If so, I believe the proper way to install cd creater is to first install the software, reboot , then install the hardware.

If the bios does not recognize the drive, check for loose cables, proper jumpers for master or slave. Ensure you check the cables at the drive and the board.

Good Luck

3. Goldfingerfan00

Goldfingerfan00 Thread Starter

How do I find that out?

And its not installing the CD creator, its the fact that my CD-RW isnt being detected by my computer or by the software.

4. slipe

slipe

How about a quick rundown of how everything is hooked up. What is on your Promise Ultra 66? Is it a Promise PCI card or is it integrated with the motherboard. What is on your primary and secondary IDE that hook to the motherboard? Give us a rundown of everything on each channel and whether it is master or slave.

What CD writer and what software did it come with?

Generally speaking optical drives like a CD writer and CD-ROM should not be hooked up to the two Ultra 66 channels but to the regular IDE channels on the motherboard. Promise doesnÂ’t recommend optical drives on the card.

If your hard drive is on the card you have to work with it as is or you will lose the operating system. If the hard drive is not hooked to the card we can just remove it and start from scratch.

5. rugrat

rugrat

Please post the info slipe has asked for, will be a big help.
    As far as knowing what the BIOS detects, reboot your machine and watch the screen. It will show what drives are being detected. If it moves to fast, hit the PAUSE/BREAK key at the top right of your keyboard, this will pause the boot until you can read the screen. Hit the escape key to resume booting.
    Or follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to enter setup, usually delete or F1. Once in the setup/bios go to the standard bios setup screen and it will usually show the drive detected. When you exit the bios DO NOT SAVE CHANGES, just in case you changed something by accident.

Let us know

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice