1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/RW will not open

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by t4tx, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. t4tx

t4tx Thread Starter

My CD/RW not only will not open, but according to my computer, does not exist! My son told me an error window came up, something about the cable, I think, but I did not see it. He checked the wires, then later took the side panel off the tower. He said it was dirty, and he blew out a lot of dust. He also took the front off, and pulled the RW out, partially, and put it back in. As far as he can tell, everything looks right. The wires, cables, etc. We did a search, and there seems to be no trace of it, period. As my son said 'how can a computer remove a drive from itself?!' It's as if there isn't, or never has been, a CD-RW on this computer, which is a Compac Presario 5000 series. I am somewhat of a novice, my son is much more knowledgeable, but he is stumped. The icon on my desktop has also disappeared. The DVD tray still opens & closes just fine. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like the power is OK to the drive, but the IDE connection (the big flat cable) is not.
    Or, the IDE port that it is connected to has failed or the driver software has become corrupt.

Under Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - IDE Ports - is the CD drive listed?

3. t4tx

t4tx Thread Starter

I have Windows ME. So it's Control Panel - System - Device Manager, then it says CD Rom. When you click on the + sign it says DVD Rom. I don't understand all this IDE stuff, but under Disk Drives it only lists a Generic IDE Disk Type01 & Generic NEC Floppy Disk. Does that help?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The CD probably wont be listed under the IDE controllers, but are both primary and secondary shown OK, with no yellow error marks next to them?

Are you very very sure the flat cable is firmly plugged in at each end? (CD Drive end and motherboard end)

5. t4tx

t4tx Thread Starter

Kiwiguy, I don't know if you're online, if you are, I would like to apologize for not responding last night. Well, my last night. Anyway, if you remember, I am having the CD/RW problem? You had asked me about the IDE controllers. Both, primary & secondary are shown, and there are no yellow error marks. My son says he is positive the cable is plugged in, on both ends. Also, according to my computer, the F drive, which is the CD/RW, has disappeared. It is not listed anywhere, and we come up with no results when running a search. If Kiwiguy is not online, I would welcome help from anyone. If I don't respond right away, it's because I don't know how to navigate this site, yet!

6. xgerryx

xgerryx

t4tx
    The little green dot beside a name indicates that they are online. Grey dot = offline

7. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

Well it's a long shot I suppose but perhaps your MBR got corrupted by a virus and you need to do an FDISK /mbr
    Not a definate but it is a possibility that is often overlooked

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice