1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD RW won't read Cds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Weezie12, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

The CD/RW won't read data or game CDs anymore. It will read music CDs, but nothing else. I have XP. I don't know if that is enough information.

2. onsite

onsite

the cdrom will not read or will not open the program when you put the cd in ?
    put in a program cd, use windows explorer, click on the cd rom drive. See if you see any files or folders ?

3. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

No. No files or folders show up. And I have checked the box that says to show hidden files.

4. onsite

onsite

WHat if you set your bios to boot from the cd drive, put your xp cd in the cdrom , reset and see if the cdrom boots off of the xp cd, then turn off pc

5. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I can't get to bios. Computer goes from XP screen to the welcome screen ,then desktop without showing the drives screen.

6. onsite

onsite

turn the pc off, then on when it comes back start tapping F1 , F2 or delete , you may have to try several times.

7. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I tried all sorts of keys and still can't get to bios. I did insert a boot floppy and typed in D: at the A prompt. I got a message saying invalid drive specification. The CD Rom shows up in device manager with no yellow marks. And it shows up in my computer as a CD drive. But when I insert a cd into the drive the icon changes to CD RW/ DVD .

8. onsite

onsite

Hmmmm. is this a home built pc or a retail ?
    I think the drive is good, especially since you said it will play music cd's
    you have xp , right ?
    although the cd drive showing up in device manager is slightly better then it not, about 80% of broken cdroms will also do that too. I do not think yours is broken
    I'll tell you what,,, do you know how to get to safe mode?
    tap the F8 key at startup, select safemode, see if you can see folders on a data cd.

9. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

In safe mode I get a message that windows cannot find the autorun.exe.

10. onsite

onsite

WHEN DO YOU GET THAT ? When you put the cd in ?
    try looking at the data cd with win explorer

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What exactly are you trying to do with game, application, or data CDs? Are you inserting one of these types of disks into the drive and then opening the drive through My Computer? Do you have multiple optical drives installed (CD-ROM, DVD burner, etc)?

I think the only problem here is that nothing is happening automatically for you when you insert any type of disk other than a music CD.

Verify the above information before messing around in the BIOS. Obviously the drive is detected because it plays music CDs.

12. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

In safe mode I got it to read data cd, music cd and a game cd. In normal mode only music cds.

13. onsite

onsite

Like I thought, the cd drive is OK. Ummm how is your pc running ingeneral ?
    Since it works in safemode and not in real mode , i would have to say that there is either
    1. a program
    2. a broken program
    3. driver
    4. infection
    that is interferring with your cd drive
    go back to your desktop
    go to spywareguide.com and do a scan , right side of their web page
    also here http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What happens when you put another type of CD in the drive and open it through My Computer? Do you get an error message?

15. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

It won't read any kind of cds in normal mode. When i go through MY computer, it doesn't show any files or folders. Just a blank screen,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice