1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd-rw

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dontjst, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dontjst

dontjst Thread Starter

I have a sony CRX220E1 CD-RW installed. It has worked well, but now "My Computer" shows it only as a CD, but Device manager shows it as a CD-RW and says it is working normally. User software does not now recognize it as a CD-RW. Anyone with a suggestion?

Thanks,

Don

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My first try, on any problem like this, would be to reinstall.

1. Make sure you have the driver--from driver CD or download from web.
    2. Use Device Manager to uninstall.
    3. Restart PC and let Windows find it and install.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So you can't burn CDs anymore? I'm not clear on what the problem is other than it doesn't appear in My Computer the way you think it should.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's perfectly normal, nothing is wrong.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you right click the drive in My Computer and choose "recording" tab, is recording checked? If so not to worry as JW says.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My assumption was that when Don said, "User software does not now recognize it as a CD-RW" he meant that he couldn't now write/record to it. Here we go with Reading Comprehension again! :)

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think you responded in the wrong place here as there is no "Don" here and no such comment...

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "there is no "Don" here and no such comment..."

Uh, if you're serious then there's something very strange about this thread. What I see is Post #1 by dontgst and the last word in that post, all by itself at the bottom as if it is the poster's name, is "Don." Need I mention that the comment I quoted is in that same post.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

OK Rich, time to remove the foot from the mouth. :D

10. dontjst

dontjst Thread Starter

Hi guys:

Thanks for your help. The "Don" is me, the don of donjst. jst is my wife. Still having problems with the user software (Roxio) suddenly not recognizing the RW but XP is able to write. Confuses me!

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah well it's been there before...I also didn't see "user software does not recognize it as cd-rw" specifically stated either and still don't.
    Oops.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... the user software (Roxio) suddenly not recognizing the RW ..."

We all get that way as we get older--memory problems, vision gets weaker ... . :)

Seriously, is there a problem? Something not working? What does "not recognizing" mean?

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I know but I meant before that I was commenting before you wrote that and spelled it out. I get it now. enough already!

14. Augie65

Augie65

Probably need to delete the upper filter and lower filter in the registry. I know how to do it manually, but JW has a regedit somewhere to do it. Will look.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Rich, please relax; my post #12 was in response to dontjst's post #10.

The attempt at humor was mostly a dig at myself and a little at JohnWill's self-identified Experience level.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice