1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD use locks down PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bvinson, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bvinson

bvinson Thread Starter

I'm using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. Anytime I load a CD or even try to burn one (through a peripheral device) my entire system locks up and I have to reboot at least once and usually twice to get it going again. After that there's no problem. Any suggestions on how to resolve this frustrating problem?

2. WarC

WarC

It sounds to me like you have a faulty CD-ROM drive. Beyond that, you could try reinstalling the IDE chipset drivers for your motherboard if its applicable.

3. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

Of course you have checked the machine with Spybot, Ad-aware and a AV prog.
    Then in Device Mangler delete the device, re-boot and let Windows reinstall the device.
    Otherwise you gota bad unit.

4. bvinson

bvinson Thread Starter

Thanks guys!! I deleted the device, rebooted, and now it seems to work. Duh! Can't thank you enough!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice