CD won't recognize

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

krizman

When I replace a new CD in my drive, Windows XP will not recognize it. It thinks the old CD is there. I am not able to access the new CD. If it is a CDR it will not record to it. In other words windows does not seem to refresh the cd drives. Any input as to what the problem is? I will try to refresh, close and open the my computer window but it still doesn't work.

TOm K

Will the CD read in a different device?
Is the CD drive set for autoplay?
try to right click and click on eject to see if it clears the old content
A start for ya
Peter

CD-ROM drives don’t have drivers since around 4X was the max speed. The best you can do is to remove the drive in device manager and reboot. Windows will reinstall it.

I trust your CD drive is a CD-RW writer as you are trying to record to CDR. Internal recorders work the same way as CD-ROM drives in that they have no drivers and can be reinstalled by removing them in device manager.

Assuming it is a burner you might try uninstalling the packet writing component only if a reinstall doesn’t help. It is the packet writing software that stays active and detects CDs. Packet writing programs are InCD, DirectCD, DLA etc. You can still write with mastering software like Nero, EZCD and the built-in XP recorder with the packet writing removed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts