1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD won't recognize

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by krizman, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krizman

krizman Thread Starter

When I replace a new CD in my drive, Windows XP will not recognize it. It thinks the old CD is there. I am not able to access the new CD. If it is a CDR it will not record to it. In other words windows does not seem to refresh the cd drives. Any input as to what the problem is? I will try to refresh, close and open the my computer window but it still doesn't work.

TOm K

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

Will the CD read in a different device?
    Is the CD drive set for autoplay?
    try to right click and click on eject to see if it clears the old content
    A start for ya
    Peter

3. obi wan

obi wan

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the CD Rom Drive?

Owen.

4. slipe

slipe

CD-ROM drives don’t have drivers since around 4X was the max speed. The best you can do is to remove the drive in device manager and reboot. Windows will reinstall it.

I trust your CD drive is a CD-RW writer as you are trying to record to CDR. Internal recorders work the same way as CD-ROM drives in that they have no drivers and can be reinstalled by removing them in device manager.

Assuming it is a burner you might try uninstalling the packet writing component only if a reinstall doesn’t help. It is the packet writing software that stays active and detects CDs. Packet writing programs are InCD, DirectCD, DLA etc. You can still write with mastering software like Nero, EZCD and the built-in XP recorder with the packet writing removed.

5. obi wan

obi wan

What sort of drivers does this page offer? I thought that CD ROM's required drivers?

Am happy to be corrected though !

http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/

Owen.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice