1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD works, DVD does not and floppy drives gone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adfuller, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adfuller

adfuller Thread Starter

Hello to anyone who can help me.
    I work in IT so normally do the 'support' for my family but this one has me stumped.
    The description is a bit indepth but I'm not sure where to go from here apart from a full reinstall which I don't want to do as apart from the problems described, everything works fine
    Okay, I have an unmodified Acer Travelmate 2501LC with XP and Nero 6. It has a DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a floppy drive.

Basically the drive will read CDs most of the time, although sometimes it will cause the computer to crash.
    However it will not read DVDs, and won't recognise any DVD discs I try. The drive just spins and clicks but not as it normally should. It will also start to burn some CDRs but not complete writing.
    Also the the floppy drive on the computer is missing from the "My Computer" folder.

It started with some problems starting from the Hard Drive cause by a bad partition but I fixed that.

In the device manager there is an exclamation mark and the following error listed "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

There is also a "Standard Floppy Disk Controller" in the device manager which is "Working properly". It appeared about the same time the problem started. I tried uninstalling this driver which leads to an immediate Blue screen of Death! It resets before I can read anything. I've tried to start the PC in Safe mode but it seems to reboot at some point in the start up, (loading the drivers I think) so I can only get it in normal mode

I tried the Microsoft Support and under the following article "Article ID:812489" found the following advice;
    Under registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E980-E325 11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Delete "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters". I can see Upperfilter (Which is 'VelFddNT') but not any Lowerfilters.

I did what the article said and deleted the Upperfilters, restarted to find the floppy disk reappeared but it still wouldn't work and now the CD Drive will not work at all. I restored the value and the CD drive came back but no floppy.

So now what can I do? I don't really care about the floppy drive, but want the DVD and burner back! Many thanks for reading and any help appreciated!

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

First, is this a Desktop or a Laptop? Personally I think the DVD drive is on it's way out and needs replaced. As for the Floppy drive, it is either lost a cable connection or is loose. That is if this is a Desktop. If it is a Laptop I still think the DVD drive is about dead and the floppy could need reseated or it may be bad as well.

DVD drives are fairly cheap these days and floppys aren't worth having anymore.

3. adfuller

adfuller Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. It's an Acer laptop. I got it off a friend a few years back.
    Considered hardware but thought it funny that both DVD and floppy went at the same time. Given it's a laptop, I don't have a generic spare to swap out. Guess I'll look on ebay\trade me for a suitable replacement.
    Cheers
    adfuller

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice